Oil dripping form under crankcase (left) - XS 400SE

oscar_m
This post is 4718 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

Hi All,

I couldn't quite figure it out whether there is some lubrication for the starter motor/starter motor clutch and how it works.

Have a look here: http://yamxs.joaquim.ch/cariboost_files/1977xs400.pdf

It's not the same model, but still the same place: page B9 part 1&2 which covers things from page A10.

In MY bike there is oil there, since it's dripping from the gasket a bit. Question is - should there be oil? how much? Is it an "oil bath" or? I have ordered a new gasket anyway, but I am not sure whether I should drain the oil first before taking that cover off or it'd be enough to tilt the bike on its right and catch the tiny bit of "leftovers"?

thanks

regards

Oscar

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

Hi All,

I couldn't quite figure it out whether there is some lubrication for the starter motor/starter motor clutch and how it works.

Have a look here: http://yamxs.joaquim.ch/cariboost_files/1977xs400.pdf

It's not the same model, but still the same place: page B9 part 1&2 which covers things from page A10.

In MY bike there is oil there, since it's dripping from the gasket a bit. Question is - should there be oil? how much? Is it an "oil bath" or? I have ordered a new gasket anyway, but I am not sure whether I should drain the oil first before taking that cover off or it'd be enough to tilt the bike on its right and catch the tiny bit of "leftovers"?

thanks

regards

Oscar

you talking about that?

you talking about that?

NOpe, I've seen this one and although it applied to my bike as well (neutral switch leakage), it is not that case.

I had a closer look on manuals and pictures and it looks like there is a hole that connects the main shaft oil basin with the starter clutch area, somewhere when the arrow on the picture shows. So it looks like it's enough to tilt the bike and wait a bit until oil drains from this place. We'll see :):):)

best regards

Oskar

I think its there to allow any excess under high revs to disperse.

if you keep the bike upright, you can change the gasket no problem.

I think its there to allow any excess under high revs to disperse.

if you keep the bike upright, you can change the gasket no problem.

I've changed these gaskets yesterday and it is as you said - I put the bike on the center stand and there was just few drops of oil, just some leftovers. Anyway removing this cover is nothing too difficult, the only problem was with cables that come out of the stator. They are usually hold by the neutral switch assembly under the main sproket cover and you need to pull out the rubber holder that holds them in the crankcase cover if you want to have enough free play to remove it. NEvertheless - seems it is working, as I couldn't notice anymore oil drips. Will see after a longer ride.

regards

Oscar

• Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online