top end gasket

rob.patton
This post is 4730 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

hi i have done a few top end rebuilds in the past and never used gasket sealant but i have never rebuild a top end on a dt i have just ordered "Athena Italy top end gasket set"

http://www.wemoto.com/bikes/Yamaha/DT_125_R/01-03/picture/Gasket_Set_-_Top_End_-_Athena_Italy/

i noticed a lot of people use some sort of gasket sealant on there dts should i ??????

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

Rob I think Athena ones are good quality with a thin rubber coating just like yamaha ones, perhaps you can confirm this. If so you wouldnt 'need' to use sealant, however personally I think a thin 7mm wide wipe of silicone manifold sealant around the circumference of the bore (each side of the gasket) is good practice, I read an awful lot of DTR head gasket reports. If you are using a cheap pattern all metal gasket then the silicone is a must...whatever you do though dont cover the whole thing in it as you will struggle removing the head at a later date.

Rob I think Athena ones are good quality with a thin rubber coating just like yamaha ones, perhaps you can confirm this. If so you wouldnt 'need' to use sealant, however personally I think a thin 7mm wide wipe of silicone manifold sealant around the circumference of the bore (each side of the gasket) is good practice, I read an awful lot of DTR head gasket reports. If you are using a cheap pattern all metal gasket then the silicone is a must...whatever you do though dont cover the whole thing in it as you will struggle removing the head at a later date.

hay dude i received my Athena gasket it did not have a rubber coating :( but it was pressed out around the bore and the outer edge of the gasket not completely flat like cheap pattern gaskets but on the safe side i did put some sealant on

• Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online