Electrical Help (79 XS750)

Doctor Miracle
This post is 4743 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

I need some assistance.

I have a 1979 Yamaha XS750. It is very used but runs good. I bought it from a guy and he said that when starting in the cold it would run the battery down and he used a combination on starter and kick starting and it worked. So it starts up, I ride it home, and it won't start back up. I check the fuses and one is blown so I replace it. When starting it gets warm and then blows. This fuse controls the lights and the starter and everything. Without it, nothing seems to come on. It had a 32V 15A fuse. Do I need to get a bigger one? The battery is a little old, is it causing the fuse to blow? Is there a common place where shorts occur? Just need some help, weather is clearing up and I need to get out on the road.

P.S. Don't know if it is relevant but my blinkers don't blink, they just stay on.

Thanks in advance.

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

I need some assistance.

I have a 1979 Yamaha XS750. It is very used but runs good. I bought it from a guy and he said that when starting in the cold it would run the battery down and he used a combination on starter and kick starting and it worked. So it starts up, I ride it home, and it won't start back up. I check the fuses and one is blown so I replace it. When starting it gets warm and then blows. This fuse controls the lights and the starter and everything. Without it, nothing seems to come on. It had a 32V 15A fuse. Do I need to get a bigger one? The battery is a little old, is it causing the fuse to blow? Is there a common place where shorts occur? Just need some help, weather is clearing up and I need to get out on the road.

P.S. Don't know if it is relevant but my blinkers don't blink, they just stay on.

Thanks in advance.

I have an '80 650. My main fuse is 20A, and the rest is 10A. I just redid half the wiring on my bike inlcuding the fuses. The glass tube fuses are incredibly fussy, even with the proper fuse the circuit can have problems with the wiring going to that fuse box. I think its a terrible design, the wires are bent 180 degrees and with all the vibration, I didnt like it. I made a new fuse box with ATC fuses and it fixed ALL my voltage problems. Also maybe try sanding down all your grounds, that helps a lot too with older bikes. check your wiring diagrams for what size fuses you want. You definitely dont want a bigger fuse than ur supposed to or you can damage components.

The blinkers possibly aren't getting enough power if they dont blink. Maybe connect the bike to a battery charger and then try the blinkers. Otherwise there is a blinker relay I believe you could look at that.

I need some assistance.

Thanks in advance.

I have an '80 650. My main fuse is 20A, and the rest is 10A. I just redid half the wiring on my bike inlcuding the fuses. The glass tube fuses are incredibly fussy, even with the proper fuse the circuit can have problems with the wiring going to that fuse box. I think its a terrible design, the wires are bent 180 degrees and with all the vibration, I didnt like it. I made a new fuse box with ATC fuses and it fixed ALL my voltage problems. Also maybe try sanding down all your grounds, that helps a lot too with older bikes. check your wiring diagrams for what size fuses you want. You definitely dont want a bigger fuse than ur supposed to or you can damage components.

The blinkers possibly aren't getting enough power if they dont blink. Maybe connect the bike to a battery charger and then try the blinkers. Otherwise there is a blinker relay I believe you could look at that.

I need some assistance.

Thanks in advance.

Hey there, I actually just had my blinkers and electrical worked on yesterday on my 78 XS750 special. So I had the same problem with my blinkers where they would turn on and not blink. Turns out the relay was bad. It's a 6 dollar part so I would replace that before I tried anything more expensive or time consuming. My main fuse is also a 20a, while the other 3 are 10a. As far as my starter was concerned, I was able to kick it over but the starter button itself only worked for about a week. Turns out the relay was also bad on that. My biggest problem with my bike now that all that is fixed is trying to figure out where I connect the bloody tach cable to the engine. Hope this helps. Let us know!

• Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online