1999 DT 125 R or 2004 DT 125 RE?

Bigsy
This post is 4746 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

Hi all, firstly i'll introduce myself, Im simon i'm 32 years old and about to get my first road leagal bike.

I grew up riding bikes on fields from the age of 10 right up until i got my car licence at 17.

I've now decided to buy a bike as i've always liked them, they're cheap motoring and fun, initially i was going to buy a dragstar 125 but got let down by the seller at the last minute, i've now decided to go for a DT and i have a choice of two, number one is a 1999 DT 125 R with 9000 miles, full dep sport in great condition, number two is a 2004 DT 125 RE with 9000 miles, full dep sport and great conditon, they are both of very similar price.

so which is the better model? i'm tempted to go for the DTRE as its newer and looks slightly better, but it only has a five speed box and from what im told its less tuneable where as the older DTR has the six speed box.

Any advice would be much appreciated.

many thanks,

Simon.

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

I would go for the RE as it does look better. However I bought a 2003 DTR last year and it was most definitely money well spent, superb little bikes. Good choice and guaranteed to increase in value IMO :welcome: Simon

Hi oldgitonabike, thanks for the reply and the welcome.

The DTR is going for £1300 and the DTRE is going for £1400, also can you or anyone shed any light on the tuning/derestricting of theses bikes? Iv read up on them and they seem to be pretty much the same, my mate seems to think that the older bike will be more tuneable and a better bike, he also thinks it will hold it's value better? Any thoughts on this?

Anyone have anything to add on this?

Cheers simon.

Hi oldgitonabike, thanks for the reply and the welcome.

The DTR is going for £1300 and the DTRE is going for £1400, also can you or anyone shed any light on the tuning/derestricting of theses bikes? Iv read up on them and they seem to be pretty much the same, my mate seems to think that the older bike will be more tuneable and a better bike, he also thinks it will hold it's value better? Any thoughts on this?

Anyone have anything to add on this?

Cheers simon.

use the search function, there is a 'sticky' from when I did my DTR. The RE would be similar but you have to ground a wire from the CDI (green/black but check first)

I think that looks-wise I'd go for the RE but I had a 2002 model and that looked lovely too. The thing that would swing it for me though would be the tacho. There isn't one on the newer version but I'm pretty sure you could fit one from an older DT. Same goes for the kick starter too as the hole it goes into is still there on the newer version, its just been plugged with something. As far as derestricting goes, I think both models should have a fully working power valve the rest of the restriction is in the exhaust and if they both have full DEP systems it should be de-restricted. Not that it gives you much more power, but they do build revs a little quicker derestrcited in this way. Has to be the expansion chamber that is changed (or chopped and welded) though.

I'm very jealous, by the way. I really regret selling my DT!

• Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online