XS400D Main ignition Assembly Removal/Installation

junununu
This post is 4798 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

Hey folks, I've recently lost my keys to my XS400 77, and ended up purchasing a new main assembly w/ extra keys (hooray!) But since I've lost my keys I haven't taken a look at the thing to figure out where to start. I notice that there are two bolts, what is the safest and best way to remove the current main assembly and secure this other one in there? Its nice that the wiring is snap-on, but I can't imagine 'squeezing' any tools into the main assembly area.

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

you need to take off the plastic covers over the ignition switch and you should be able to see two cross head screws. crack them and the switch will be loose, undo the wires inside the headlamp shell.

just be careful to check your old ig. switch with the new one. I had to solder an extra wire (blue) to the body for the main beam, left switch.

OK, that was simple enough, but i forgot its not as easy as swapping out the ignition. Glad I remembered about the key in the gas tank before I took off anywhere. But it seems like the keys from these two are a different fit, even though the main assembly went on perfectly. Do you think its possible to shave down the key holes in the gas tank/seat to force the slightly bigger key in?

In the worst case scenario, if I have to order a new key, where will I get they key number? I have the last 4 digits but not they type and do not have the original keys.

OK, that was simple enough, but i forgot its not as easy as swapping out the ignition. Glad I remembered about the key in the gas tank before I took off anywhere. But it seems like the keys from these two are a different fit, even though the main assembly went on perfectly. Do you think its possible to shave down the key holes in the gas tank/seat to force the slightly bigger key in?

In the worst case scenario, if I have to order a new key, where will I get they key number? I have the last 4 digits but not they type and do not have the original keys.

the key number is only 4 digits, check ebay as I'm sure they had key blanks on there not long ago!

the key number is only 4 digits,

the yamaha dealer said the 4 digit number on the igntion assembly wasn't enough and that i need a 5 character code starting with a letter and 4 digits that come on the silver tab of the oem keys. is the dealer wrong? is it worth trying to go somewhere else or should i look into a locksmith?

the yamaha dealer said the 4 digit number on the igntion assembly wasn't enough and that i need a 5 character code starting with a letter and 4 digits that come on the silver tab of the oem keys. is the dealer wrong? is it worth trying to go somewhere else or should i look into a locksmith?

I have oem keys and there's only 4 number and never heard of a 5th letter.

I'm sure there's a thread here where someone can cut keys from the number!

• Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online