Zincing

Airhead
This post is 4785 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

the parts do need to be prepped quite well.

a bit of linishing does the trick, I know its not possible on bearing surfaces, so i think renewal or chrome is the way to go!

you'll never get good results if you don't do proper prep. This is why plating is so expensive to get decent job, the prep takes much longer then the actual plating.

This is the work of a professional plating company, and as far as I can see it is chrome...not zinc as asked for. The finish was no way like this when I handed the parts over.

Umm professional what company !!!!!!

This is the work of a professional plating company, and as far as I can see it is chrome...not zinc as asked for. The finish was no way like this when I handed the parts over.

Name them and shame them, that is really bad.

Have they been 'cold plated' in a nickel bath Paul?-they look feckin terrible :o -name 'em and shame 'em or at least threaten to when you give the company a call to ask for a refund <_<

one thing you have to remember is. if you have something chromed and needs rechroming, the steel substrate can fizz away when subject to the cleaning chemicals.

I thought you'd done them yourself via caswell kits. :o

it does look very rusty inside the rear brake pin.

At the very least they should have let you know the situation and let you decide how to proceed!

But they werent chromed and being re-chromed...they were zinc and in for re-zincing. I bet zinc is gone in a flash, some of this stuff looks like it was pickled in acid half the day.

Looks like they have not done the slightest polishing and preparing and yes the photos are good and even show up the rust underneath that the naked eye (least mine) would struggle to see.

OG, put a bit of string through the heaviest part they heve done

Walk into the shop and ask for the fella that done the work

Swing the piece round your head and lamp him between the eyes with it :lol:

What a mess thay have become,,,,,, I bet they werent that rusty inside when you brought them in to them,,,,,,,,, Barstwerts :(

To add insult to injury I even took some spares in as well, thought I might as well get them done too while I was at it.

On a brighter note I went to another company (Unity Plating) in Oldham, the chap there did a test and confirmed the were indeed chrome and agreed they were rough. I found a spare front wheel axle and he has plated it zinc, free of charge as a sample...it's the mutts nuts and just how I wanted my stuff to look.

201_1878.jpg

I am actively replacing as much of the first stuff both new and used, no prizes for guessing who gets that job.

I am in discussion with the first place.

• 4 weeks later...

Hi do you have the web page /address for Unity Plating,tried google and could not find them ?and what are there prices like ?I am also doing up a DT175MX taken around 16 years at the moment !!!!!!and have just got a frame with V5 so fingers crossed will be on the road soon.

Thanks

Phil

Skipton

North Yorks

Hi do you have the web page /address for Unity Plating,tried google and could not find them ?and what are there prices like ?I am also doing up a DT175MX taken around 16 years at the moment !!!!!!and have just got a frame with V5 so fingers crossed will be on the road soon.

Thanks

Phil

Skipton

North Yorks

Unity Plating

Mount Pleasant St

Oldham

OL4 1HH

0161 287 8714