Odd ignition noise

Backon2wheels
This post is 4824 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

Hi all (again). I've had my 650 Drag Star for about a fortnight now, although its yet to make it out of the garage due to the rubbish weather. However, whilst showing family and friends my new purchase, I sometimes start the bike and have noticed when I turn the ignition on, i get maybe 20 or 30 seconds of a high pitched whining noise (definitely an eletrical rather than mechanical). It stops after 20 seconds or so but it's never done it before and if there's an issue I'd rather get it dealt with whilst under warranty. As I've not taken the bike out yet and dont have the battery on a trickle charger, i thought it might be an indication that the battery is running low, although it still starts first time.

Has anyone come across this before? Any assistance welcome.

Cheers!

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

You speak of both starting and turning the ignition on - When exactly does the noise occur?

Does the noise happen when you turn the key?

If so and you get a sort of electrical buzzing/rasping sound, then that's the fuel pump kicking in to prime the system and is nothing to worry about.

If you mean when you press the starter button and the noise happens while the engine is running, chances are your starter button is stuck and the starter motor is still turning. Mine did this once - Open up the right hand control cluster and use an air duster to blast all the crap out. If you have a little brush or something, get that in there and clean it as much as poss.

If it's neither, then we'd need to know more about the bike (ie whether you have any non-standard, non-Yamaha, non-factory things installed on it) and the noise itself.

I would tend to believe it's your fuel pump priming.

I'd suspect your fuel pump too - although it shouldn't take 20 seconds, mine runs for about 2-3 seconds.

Check this;

1. Set kill switch to off position and turn key to off

2. Turn key to on

3. Turn kill switch to on (so you can start the bike)

4. You'll hear a "whirring" noise for a few seconds - thats normal

5. Press the ignition button and she should fire up

If at stage 4 the noise goes on for ages, you might want to get it checked under warranty.

• Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online