I need dimensions of the XV125 steering head lower bearing

Kelum
This post is 4844 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

Hi Guys,

I've got steering head problem of my xv125 and I have bought new bearings, but these purchased bearings have similar diameter at the middle hole which is not the case with the originally fitted in the bike..in other words, the lower bearing in the bike required to have a higher diameter than the upper one..so few weeks back, I put a new macthing bearing for the upper one and let the old lower bearing to remain..but still I get dock dock feeling in steering head when I ride..so wanna get diameter of the left new bearing adjusted with some lathe machine guy..there is enough space on the new one to cut...so I want to know the exact diameter of the lower bearing if you have them removed in the garage by chance...hope I have been clear with the request..I am attaching a pic of new one and old one..but these are of the same diameter..what is not available here is the lower old one..as it is fitted to the bike I will have to remove handle bars and all to get the dimensions which is a headache..please see what you could do..thanx in advance..(am in a hurry so typed fast, sorry if not good at taking you to the point)... :blink:

cimg0182h.jpg

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

The rusty looking two at the left are old ones, other two at right are new, but as you can see at right, the middle hole of top one needs to be big...and it has adequate margin to cut of which will be ok..like the top one's hole should match the hole in the lower one's...please I hope you've got my point.. :unsure:

Struggling to get my head around this. If the lower ring needs to be bigger than the upper ring, then unless I'm visually impaired, you already have what you need. Look at the shiny (new) rings on the right. The top one has a smaller bore than the one on the bottom, doesn't it? So the top right one goes on the top, and the bottom right one goes on the bottom. Right? :huh:

So, the top right ring is the same as the 2 (top/old rings) on the left, so that is a top ring.

The bottom right ring, which you say should be bigger, actually is, so that fits on the bottom.

Unless you mean that the bore on the old, lower ring is not quite the same as the bore on the new lower ring?

In which case, a Dremmel (or similar) with a small sanding drum (or similar) is all you need to remove a few thou from the bore of the new lower sleeve, just enough to slide on very easily

Struggling to get my head around this. If the lower ring needs to be bigger than the upper ring, then unless I'm visually impaired, you already have what you need. Look at the shiny (new) rings on the right. The top one has a smaller bore than the one on the bottom, doesn't it? So the top right one goes on the top, and the bottom right one goes on the bottom. Right? :huh:

So, the top right ring is the same as the 2 (top/old rings) on the left, so that is a top ring.

The bottom right ring, which you say should be bigger, actually is, so that fits on the bottom.

Unless you mean that the bore on the old, lower ring is not quite the same as the bore on the new lower ring?

In which case, a Dremmel (or similar) with a small sanding drum (or similar) is all you need to remove a few thou from the bore of the new lower sleeve, just enough to slide on very easily

Hi sorry if I was confusing you..let me be more explanatory here..

I bought new bearings...two with same size bores... (bore that's the term mate :D )as you may know each bearing has two cups once balled and greased on the groove and overlapped forming bearing..the 4 pieces I bought for two bearings had the same size bores...however it wasnt the case with old bearings...on the bike top ( I mean steering head's top) bearings had a smaller bore while steering head's lower bearing had bigger bore...in this case I replace old ones with the new..so I put one new one with the old bigger-bore one..but old one was kinda worn out so head is making noises when running.

So what you are seeing in the pic is the OLD TOP bearing and a new bearing. Now I want to buy a big bore one to fix the issue..so I need to know the bore size of the lower bearing...as it is a pain in the neck to disassemble handle, heads etc.. :unsure:

• Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online