FZR 1000 xup valves

Guest JMW
This post is 7142 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

Do they ever sieze up and stop working ?

Doing a bike at the weekend and it's deathly slow for an FZR - deffo lack in top end. I suspect lack of maintenance and a duffer of an EXUP valve..

Any suggestions - J

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

Never owned an exup but I believe they are pretty much the same on my R1 which was seized when I got it back from storage. I had to by the pulley bit and it was fine after that.

Yeah....think you're on the right track there J :wink:

The heat from the exhaust will always fatigue those type of parts faster.

:cry: I've just seen the bike close up and it's a case of total lack of care and maintenance.

Gonna turn my back on the job simply because it needs so much to sort it out, the owner will think I'm having a laugh.

True rolling rubbish :cry:

hello guys,yeah the ex up valve(exhuast ultimate power valve).this valve is a bugger for sticking,It will certainly slow the bike down,okay at low speeds but once you open the throttle the bike seems to have no power to accelerate.the valve is operated by two cables from a motor pulley,on the thunderace when riding my rev needle would move from 0 to 7rpm this is a diagnostic check it may be the same on the fzr.I had to take the exup valve out,remove a small heat shield first ,held on by 3 bolts 2 of them sheered off ,poor quality metal,then i took the 3 bolts that held the valve in oh yes they all snapped so i had to drill each one out then re tap a new thread into the valve housing on the exhaust,for a new valve i was qouted £160plus vat,wooooh,just orderd a recon one from bike breakers cost around £30 covered it in copper grease put it back in, covered all the bolts in copper grease,woh what power, what speed,100% .NO i am not a power ranger or a croch rocket rider,just a biker with out prejudice to other fellow bikers what ever they ride,last bike was a zephry 750 ,now yzf thunderace

Hope this is a little help,cheers all.

Yep, they are a bugger for seizing. When I bought mine it was seized, not solid but too stiff for the servo to turn. Sorting it cost about £100 in parts plus a few hours in the workshop. Luckily the actual valve was OK but I had to replace the housing plate (buggered it getting out of the pipe), pulley, cable holder (both rusted) and bushes/grease seals. I had to take the pipe off the bike to do the job as the bolts sheared off and had to be drilled out and retapped. Runs lovely now, doesn't have the kick of a stroker so it's a bit deceptive how quicky it gathers speed. Hope to have it on the dyno soon :)

Here's a pic of some of the bits I replaced.

Dscf0067.jpg

• Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online