HID lights

vic-fzr600
This post is 4929 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

Has anyone used a HID light conversion on their bike?

I'm using my bike daily on dark rural roads & every bit of extra illumination would be handy.

A friend sells the kits & has recommended one but i'm not certain if its good idea.

Anyone got any experience / opinions / comments??

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

Here's something to consider.....

Firstly HID lights must (under UK law) be self leveling and self cleaning..........

But things like this don't usually bother people, so.....

Imaging for a momment, you are riding down a road with lovely bright HID lights. Around the corner comes Mrs Miggins in here little Austin Metro with the shopping in it, she doesn't normally shop this late at night (it's only 8 O'Clock after all) but there was some bargains at Asda. There is a bit of drizzle in the air too and she's happily singing along to Take That (she's quite hip you know).

Anyway, around the corner she comes and is blinded by your HID lights and the startbusrt effect the drizzle is causing. Her immediate action is to cover her eys and look away, but she hasn't properly turned the corner and head straight,,,,,, into you!

A month later, you awake, having lost 4 weeks pay, missed a mortgage payment and your credit card. The gas bill has arrived as has the electric bill. Fair enough I'll sue here for the loss.

Only the traffic policeman inspected your bike and thought, "this doesn't look right" so asks the VOSA man to take a look. "yes, that's illegal". You insurance company find this out and revoke your cover, and as you had an illegal light the Police conclude the accident was your fault....

6 months later, you've got back to work, but you have 3 CCJ's and a repossession order on your house.....

------

OK, it's a little extreme, but not beyond possibilty.

The point here, is that although lots of people use these HID conversions, they are illegal, and there is nothing worse as a bike as having some git in a BMW/Audi/Merc/Jag with overly bright HID lights coming towards you on a wet dark night. Just because you can see, doesn't mean the person coming towards you isn't going to be blinded.

I have HID lights on my car, and they aren't all that great to be honest, I'd much rather have a Halogen and a decent reflector.

• Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online