Greetings! Yamaha XV 125 Virago handlebars + other issues.

MoreBeer
This post is 4597 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

Hi there, I joined up here a while back but never posted, sorry!

Could use a little help if anyone is willing.

I've picked up a '97 Virago XV 125 for a bargain price, but it has minor crash damage. The most prominent being slightly bent handlebars.

There doesn't seem to be any 'proper' bars for sale on eBay, but I was wondering f any others will fit? I'd actually prefer straighter bars anyway :)

Would standard renthal bars fit? (Chrome of course to match..)

Other issues, the speedometer has no working light so is unreadable at night, is this user serviceable? In other words is it hard to replace the bulb?

The last issue is the fact that it just won't idle too well it often stalls, but it runs fine otherwise.

Any help for the above issues would be greatly appreciated!

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

right the handle bars are a certain diameter which is 7/8 (of an inch) so any bars that size will fit. if you want to replace the bulb in the speedo ul need to take it off the bike and dismantle it to get to the bulb, and last but not least the choppy idle. would be handy if i had some more details like what colour the spark plug is and a run through of what happens and also how high the revs are then i can go through the possibilities and come up with a solution.

right the handle bars are a certain diameter which is 7/8 (of an inch) so any bars that size will fit. if you want to replace the bulb in the speedo ul need to take it off the bike and dismantle it to get to the bulb, and last but not least the choppy idle. would be handy if i had some more details like what colour the spark plug is and a run through of what happens and also how high the revs are then i can go through the possibilities and come up with a solution.

Thanks for the help there Paul.

I hadn't checked the plugs etc last night, as I'd literally just bought the bike (VERY cheap due to the issues), and it was raining, so didn't fancy messing with it in the cold and wet :)

I'll take a look at the plugs etc a little later on when The mrs is back from shopping and give you an update. (I have the kids while she's shopping..suits me I hate shopping!)

I can't say how high the revs are, there is no rev counter on a '97 XV 125:)

One quick thing to check:

Start by warming the bike up for a couple of minutes. Use choke if neccesary.

Then see what the idle is like.

If it is still low and stalls, try turning the idle screw up.

A common thing with owners of Non-Harley V-Twins is to lower the idle speed for a "better" sound.

Turns the normal, smooth "Budda-budda-budda-budda-budda" noise of a properly running engine into a pseudo-Harley-esque "Chuggg-achuggg-achuggg-achuggg".

Sounds silly, but it happens.

If you're ever at a properly outfitted mechanic's place, maybe for a service or something, have them check the idle speed - Should be about 1500 revs at idle, I believe.

A common thing with owners of Non-Harley V-Twins is to lower the idle speed for a "better" sound.

Turns the normal, smooth "Budda-budda-budda-budda-budda" noise of a properly running engine into a pseudo-Harley-esque "Chuggg-achuggg-achuggg-achuggg".

If you're ever at a properly outfitted mechanic's place, maybe for a service or something, have them check the idle speed - Should be about 1500 revs at idle, I believe.

Adjusting the idle screw worked, though I think it's maybe revving a little too high so I may have to adjust it a little more :D

I think the throttle cable needs replacing as it sticks a little, maybe the choke cable too. Other than that and the aforementioned handlebars it's all good :)

Lubricate the cables first!!!

Far cheaper than replacing them if you don't need to and extends their life.

Literally, just get a can of WD40 with the little tube extension.

Cut the very tip of the tube off at about 45°, like you do with flower stems - Makes the job a lot easier... or you can buy a special cable oiler device for a tenner, if you really want.

Then stick this in between the sheath and cable and give it a little squirt. Operate the controls a few times to work the oil in, then repeat a few times until everything is nice and smooth.

Job done.

Hi friend, I think my bike too having this Budda budda beat....is it necessary to be changed into chugg achugg...? I think I have both beats...on low gears I have Budda budda..but at 5th I have chugg achugg... :unsure: I have an XV 125 too.it doesnt have a rev counter...

Could you please post a pic of the screw?

Plus when you have to oil cabels, WD40 is an engine oil type? I am new to bikes please help..my bike's one rear socket has blown up, its slanting..this seem to slant the wheel a little..its not good for the swing arm right? so am considering buying similar height Indian sockets that should cost me around 35USD(3500 SL rupees)..so am prioritizing that these days..

Please help.. :blink:

Lubricate the cables first!!!

Far cheaper than replacing them if you don't need to and extends their life.

Literally, just get a can of WD40 with the little tube extension.

Cut the very tip of the tube off at about 45°, like you do with flower stems - Makes the job a lot easier... or you can buy a special cable oiler device for a tenner, if you really want.

Then stick this in between the sheath and cable and give it a little squirt. Operate the controls a few times to work the oil in, then repeat a few times until everything is nice and smooth.

Job done.

I've done this with the choke cable, but using 3in1 rather than WD40, seems to have freed it up some, I'll do the throttle cable tomorrow see if it makes a difference.

right ..... to set the idle screw warm the bike up for about 10-20min then turn down the idle screw so the revs start dropping, turn it right down so the engine nearly stalls (but dont let it stall you just need to find the tilting point between running and stalling.

then turn it up by 1 or 2 turns, your trying to get the same sound as a steam engine (just say chuga chuga over and over) i know it sounds daft but it works for me lol

then you need to rev the engine once and see if the revs drop off or if it stops at the chuga chuga point, then if all is ok turn the engine off and let it cool down for an hour (or go play with the kids or something, mine are 2 and 3 so at least a couple of hours of playin hide and seek lol)

when the engine has cooled down try and start the bike if it starts and runs ok without stalling then its done. if not just turn the idle screw up 1/4 a turn at a time.

during the winter you will need to use the choke more often to start and warm up the engine, with the choke on it should rev higher and be consistent (sortof the same sound as a roadworks power chisel) just warm up the engine for 5 to 10 min (depending how cold it is when you want to start it up) then it should run fine and keep you happy

soz for the long explanation i tend to witter on a bit lol

oh and kelum definatly get some new shocks! its not safe to ride it if the wheel leans to one side!

right ..... to set the idle screw warm the bike up for about 10-20min then turn down the idle screw so the revs start dropping, turn it right down so the engine nearly stalls (but dont let it stall you just need to find the tilting point between running and stalling.

then turn it up by 1 or 2 turns, your trying to get the same sound as a steam engine (just say chuga chuga over and over) i know it sounds daft but it works for me lol

then you need to rev the engine once and see if the revs drop off or if it stops at the chuga chuga point, then if all is ok turn the engine off and let it cool down for an hour (or go play with the kids or something, mine are 2 and 3 so at least a couple of hours of playin hide and seek lol)

when the engine has cooled down try and start the bike if it starts and runs ok without stalling then its done. if not just turn the idle screw up 1/4 a turn at a time.

during the winter you will need to use the choke more often to start and warm up the engine, with the choke on it should rev higher and be consistent (sortof the same sound as a roadworks power chisel) just warm up the engine for 5 to 10 min (depending how cold it is when you want to start it up) then it should run fine and keep you happy

soz for the long explanation i tend to witter on a bit lol

oh and kelum definatly get some new shocks! its not safe to ride it if the wheel leans to one side!

Ok Paul, I will buy a pair of shockets..Indian shockets are cheap..! B)

Bars arrived this morning, so set about fitting them..as it seems people like step by step stuff, here's some pics :P

Click the images for a bigger version.

th20101030_083.jpg

th20101030_084.jpg

th20101030_085.jpg

th20101030_086.jpg

th20101030_087.jpg

th20101030_089.jpg

Had to adjust the handlebars to lean a little further back after a test ride as it was a touch uncomfortable.

As I thought, the right side clamp is a little bent too, so need to order clamps :D

The idiot lights panel is missing a bolt too (my fault I dropped it and then lost it) so cable tied on one side for now, so it's uneven, will put a new bolt in at the same time as I replace the clamps. Also still waiting on the bar ends, hopefully they arrive Monday.

Overall it's made the bike much more comfortable and a better riding position in my opinion :)

Need to order some more mirrors...the ones on the bike now there is no way to actually see behind very well as they were designed for the standard bars for the Virago :D

--edit I found an old mirror I had from my SR125 so stuck that on so I have 1 mirror that actually lets me see behind, new pair on order from eBay.

think some xvs 125 dragstar mirrors would look good and still keep the feel of the bike :D

After oiling the choke and throttle cables, messing with the idle screw, and running some Redex through the system the bike is running much better. I'll have the air filter out when on my next days off to check that (wasn't sure where it was at first.. but I do now) but according to the receipts that came with the bike, that was replaced 500 miles ago, along with the fork oil/seals, chain, sprockets and wheel bearings.

• 11 months later...
  • Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online