Yamaha XV125 Virago Battery issue

Kelum
This post is 4950 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

Hi all,

I bought this cool bike few days ago and I am the third user, the year of manufacture of the bike is 2004. But early owners have had some damages on the bike, like the silencers have some strange corrosion (holes underside, just like some acid has made them) and chopped appearance but they dont seem to affect much as engine sound is just fine.

This morning after running around 30 killometers I washed the bike. Then left water to drain, I washed all the cylinder heads. All the spark plugs were wet. Then after some time I tried to start the bike but the starter moter could not start the bike, I kept trying later I heard the moter revolving...without any "brass" sound. Later moter stopped responding to the switch..(I think my attempt drew lot of battery power)

Then I pushed the bike and started it.

At the electrician, battery was found to be low and it was charged, after connecting it back, the starter worked fine..at this condition I left home and came around 9pm..on the way I felt the head light was low..then before long I found that the battery was running extremely law ..then I externally charged the battery and put it in..after charging the functions of the bike were back to normal, I could start the bike so easily...

The joy lasted few hours as I found battery was weak once again and I had to push the bike to start..running doesnt seem to charge the battery as the horns and headlights started to become dim (well, horn started to sound weaker and weaker)...according to electrician, battery is ok..when the battery is getting lower despite running, that means it doesnt charge...is it the alternator of the bike or something else causing the problem? can a current leak cause this? Will the repair will be pricey?

When the battery is down, the engine stops functioning..and the engine seems to miss as the garage guys say..you can feel how odd each piston works as the bike starts to jump forward suddenly rather than having an smooth operation...is it the weak battery that causes this..once the battery was weak I turned off switch for sometime and pushed on highway, after sometime I turned on the switch and pushed along slopes and turned on first gear, the bike started easily and runs for around two killometers till the battery gets weaker again, even you can hear the horn and the headlight will get dimmer at this point..

I cant find the user manual for xv125..if someone have it please can you give me?

I hope the issue is a lighter one and could get it fixed at a very low cost...

Please help me and if something isnt clear please ask me..I am no native English guy...forgive me for errors.

Another question is how can the underside of silencer have holes just like an acid would do...how can I prevent it? Can I weld them and perhaps weld and close all the holes? Can you apply some paint to hide welds?

Thank you in advance... :blink:

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

I guess when the battery is low the spark plugs do not work well, thats why irregular sound and feel of engine and ultimate engine stops..am I right? Bike computer and firing orders etc get affected when battery is dead?

Where is the choke? I found some cable with a leaver with N marked on plastic handle on right air cleaner ( I think those two ball-like structures at front sides are air cleaners)When do I have to use the choke and what position..? I found another red button at left front side on handle? What is the puprose of that? :(

i expect you have blown the regulator rectifier if your battery is not charging . chris

Hi thanx mate, all these issues can happen due to low battery? regulator rectifier is the thing with a pinned heatsink at right side ? It was hot at the garage today..is it very pricey? damn will have to go here and there to find a right one right? :(

Hmm. I seem to have the exact same problem as you :( I really don't know what to do. Saying that, I had the same problem a while back and it seemed to sort itself out eventually???

Chris

get a voltage tester, charge the battery with a charger test the voltage of battery. a fully charged battery should be 12.5 volts approx, start the bike get someone to hold the revs up to about 4000 revs , then test the battery again. the battery should be around 13 to 14 volts whilst revving.

if there is no change the rectifier regulator is not working check the plug going into it for burning. this would cause all your problems and getting it very wet could have shorted it out.

yes it is the bit you described, as for price i would expect it to be around £50.

chris

Thank you guys, this morning battery is in very good condition, but once I press the start button if it shouldnt start at once, then again I will have the same problem..wish to go to electrician now...

Chris...I charged battery yesterday and checked voltage which was around 12.5..then I installed it and rode..however at night when I was returning the high beam was on and it began to become dim, the hone started to whisper...this proves that the battery was giving off its power only, it wasnt charging...

Thank you all for the helping words, I will update the thread once I got it solved..as for Christofesor, I dont think it will heal itself...plus I dont wanna get into trouble when I cruise in the country...no garages, no petrol,no street lamps etc...hehe

:unsure:

Thank you guys, this morning battery is in very good condition, but once I press the start button if it shouldnt start at once, then again I will have the same problem..wish to go to electrician now...

Chris...I charged battery yesterday and checked voltage which was around 12.5..then I installed it and rode..however at night when I was returning the high beam was on and it began to become dim, the hone started to whisper...this proves that the battery was giving off its power only, it wasnt charging...

Thank you all for the helping words, I will update the thread once I got it solved..as for Christofesor, I dont think it will heal itself...plus I dont wanna get into trouble when I cruise in the country...no garages, no petrol,no street lamps etc...hehe

:unsure:

check the battery voltage with the bike reving at about 4000 revs if it does not go up then the rectifier is not working, chris

Is there black moist shit around the positive terminal? I seem to have the exact same problem as you, except I've left it now for a few hours charging and it wont start at all???

What is this "boiling" the battery? And could I have done this possibly? I've bump started it a fair few times in the last few days :S

I don't mean to hijack your thread, I think we may have the same problem though...

Chris

well, i've managed to start it eventually, but didnt have to go anywhere and was in my boxers so didnt fancy taking it for a ride... which used up the last bit of charge...

How hard is the reg/rect change? I want to hook it up to a volt meter today (i'll nick one from my phsyics lesson!) to confirm it is this...

Nonetheless, the cheapest I can find is like fifty quid from ebay, but then will I have to get a new battery for it too?

Chris

you need to take the seat off and the side panels (where the battery is) it un-bolts then un-plugs, i wouldnt trust e-bay but wemoto are good. u can get a new one from there and itl get to you the next day but goin price is around 80 to 90 quid for a new one but at least its guaranteed to work .....and last!

you might be lucky and wont need to change ur battery but fully charged it should read at least 13-14 volts, but put some money asside for a new one just in case

Hi all, yes the rectifier was the problem, I had to go to a place where they disassemble Japanese bikes to get the same matching rectifier..now it works fine..

This rectifier issue came up right after a washing...does water kill rectifiers..electrician also asked me to protect circuitry from water...is that true..?

The rectifier cost me 40USD...It was an original Japanese part disassembled from some virago..

The person at parts store told me even Honda hornet rectifiers would work on Virago..is that true? what other rectifiers go with xv125?

rectifiers could go if they get wet....really wet, not sure how you would insulate it cause it needs to be able to get rid of heat. could put a plastic tub (like a Chinese takeaway tub) round it but then all the heat would be trapped inside but at least it would be water proof!

not sure what others would fit but in theory they are all the same (convert ac power to dc power)

and christof i had a look and am quite shocked they dont have one! well not for the dragstar, so if it says "new" on e-bay then thats probably your best bet.

i know the xv and xvs engines are practically the same, so by rights the reg/rect for both should be interchangeable. (dont think yamaha would go through all the expense of re-doing the stator coil when they could just stick a xv one in the xvs but dont hold me to it)

shame you didnt tell me u needed one a week ago as iv just stuck my old one (xvs) on the new engine iv got (cbr) lol

but if you get a 2nd hand one there is always the chance that its blown or will last 2 weeks. so ask plenty of questions and get a guarantee!

Wet :P - i might see the problem now!!!! My side cover has been off since I bought the bike cos it needs a new lock!!!

Howeverr, it hasn't caused a problem before :( maybe it's a case of "the straw that broke the camel's back", combined with doing a few long journeys (one of which was in the rain) recently...

I'll sort it out :)

Chris

just tested it with a voltmeter

across the terminals shows around 12 before starting, after bump-starting, and during revving???

Could it be a starter motor problem? Also does the loud "buzz" mean im out of battery? Or something worse? :(

Anyway I'll stick it on charge over night, and see what happens in the morning.

Chris

its not ur starter motor m8 its ur reg rect. that "buzz" is the starter relay not getting enough power to start the starter motor and ur battery when fully charged should read at least 13 volts!

right the way the wiers work to give u an idea.

engine has a coil inside that generates its own electricity in AC power, the power then gets sent to the reg/rect which converts it into usable DC power which in turn charges ur battery and makes everything work on the bike (like ecu, spark plugs, lights)

the starter motor runs direct off the battery and needs 12volts to work so if the reg/rect has failed the battery isnt getting charged and no usable power is comming from the engine, so the power being used is getting sucked out of the battery alone, so when you start the bike and with the ecu, lights, spark plugs working off the battery, it overloads and looses its charge, and results in you getting a dead battery

now if you run the bike with a broken reg/rect for any long period of time all that non converted AC power is going into the battery plus everything is sucking the power out which overloads it big time, making it heat up, swell and posably crack and leak.

In which case I will probably need a new reg/rect AND battery :(

Stuck it on charge whilst working last night and tried to start this morning and no buzz, just sort of trying to turn over but not firing...

Cheers for the explanation Paul...

Chris

In which case I will probably need a new reg/rect AND battery :(

Stuck it on charge whilst working last night and tried to start this morning and no buzz, just sort of trying to turn over but not firing...

Cheers for the explanation Paul...

Chris

yeah sounds like ur battery has given up m8

• Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online