Dose DTR125 need a top end rebuild?

mrjt
This post is 4971 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

Hi there I've not long just bought a DTR125 on a 51plate. the bike has done 21K The last owner said he don't think the bike's had any engine work done, So I was thinking with it having 21K on the clock and no new top-end would I be losing out on power? I can get 65 nearing 70 but I'm hitting 8000rpm. I know the bike can do more as I've had one before. But I was 3 stone lighter. I'm now something 11stone.. So taken all this into account what do you think. I want to redo the top-end over xmass just for the sake of the 21k on the clock.

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

Aint broke don't fix it 65/70 is good for a DT. By all means pull it to bits if you want but i doubt you will get any more ooomph, maybe less as the bike could be in the sweet spot before the bore finally wears out.

One point to remember though, these engines rarely get past around 15000 without work, 21000 on the original pot is unlikely. Not impossible, not that common either. Unless he has owned it from new, i'd make my own decision on the top end. Keep your money in your pocket till it needs it, you will know soon enough ;) .

• Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online