Piston rings

Dooooogster
This post is 5012 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

Just about to replace my piston on a rebored cylinder. With the piston rings came a very thin kinked washer than looks like it should fit under one of the piston rings?? in the past i have just discarded this as didn't see any purpose in it. Does anyone know what this is for? Should it be used under a piston ring? If so top or bottom ring? I think I discarded it last time cause it made the ring not fit into the cylinder.

Any ideas?

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

Ahhh!. Thanks very much OG.

Ok, OG last few wee questions. Should the oil feeder tube be full of red 2 stroke oil with no air bubbles? Or should it just spit little droplets of oil up the pipe even when you pull hard on the oil cable to bleed the system?

I am taking no risks with my newly bored cylinder so what is the best premix to use in thtle tank; 1:32 or 4% or more? Just have no confidence in oil pump. Thanks for all your assistance so far, advice has been top notch. Premix a short term solution only, hopefully.

Have you got a see through oil pipe to the manifold?

I agree with your scepticism with regard the pump, you need to have confidence in it.

Yes by all means pre-mix untill you are happy with the pump, I would think a 40/1 mix would be ok.

bleed the pump by taking out the bleed screw (or rubber cap) wait until no air bubbles come out and only oil does.

After that is done start the engine and allow to idle, now turn the pulley on the pump by hand until maximum, you will see the oil pumping through the see through pipe, about 6/7mm with each pulse, I think that air bubble will soon disappear

If you see this you can be happy with your pump and just monitor the oil level drops in the tank...then you can add just fuel to the fuel tank next time.

Have you got a see through oil pipe to the manifold?

I agree with your scepticism with regard the pump, you need to have confidence in it.

Yes by all means pre-mix untill you are happy with the pump, I would think a 40/1 mix would be ok.

bleed the pump by taking out the bleed screw (or rubber cap) wait until no air bubbles come out and only oil does.

After that is done start the engine and allow to idle, now turn the pulley on the pump by hand until maximum, you will see the oil pumping through the see through pipe, about 6/7mm with each pulse, I think that air bubble will soon disappear

If you see this you can be happy with your pump and just monitor the oil level drops in the tank...then you can add just fuel to the fuel tank next time.

Yes I replaced the tube with a transparent one. Ok did the above including turning the pulley by hand, but the oil spurts a bit (as if it is being sucked through rather than pumped!) then just sits about 2cm from the oil pump and does nothing after that - so ther other 6 cm of the tube is air. I take it on the oil pump, the adjusting plate with the nut should be pumping up and down 10 to the dozen? Mine is doing nothing - no movement what so ever.

Is it likely that the drive from the engine is lost? How serious is that?

Update I see from another thread that you have answered a similar question 'strange oil pump problem' - so no need to bother you further. thanks for all your help!

• Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online