Do coils need to be grounded?

armyofda12mnkeys
This post is 5018 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

So I installed '81 xs400 coils on my '78 xs400 bike (upgraded it to electronic ignition) and since they don't fit the mounting area, I had to temporarily move my coils somewhere else and tie them down on the frame with plastic tie-downs (until i can find a place to weld a fabrication for me).

I know that whatever electricity going through will be eventually grounded via the spark plugs to the engine... but do the coils have to be 'grounded' themselves as they have 2 metal screws sticking out where they are attached to mounting brackets?

I assumed they dont need to be grounded as a lil' later the spark plug-to-engine takes care of that,

But when i googled if it needs to be grounded, someone with a (way) different bike saw his wiring diagram said they needed to be, and his bike started up after he did this...

So i just wanted confirmation it's alright to NOT ground it.

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

I grounded mine, but looking at the schematic, looks like they don't need to be!

I'm sure it wouldn't take a lot of creation to put even a temporary ground wire on. You'd have your answer then.

cool, if you can see now, it is just has zip-tied-downs onto the frame lol... but its not really grounded as its the rubber part and not metal on metal i think...

She's running fine. but i'll probably add a ground wire jussst in case soon.

New look:

4869750397_08cb06d18d_z.jpg

4869750361_40059e0cfc_z.jpg

haha I like the bare look of the air boxes without the side covers ;). Bought some of the pod lookin ones off ebay but eh, wasnt a fan plus didnt want to re-jet (plus they didnt fit! err all the xs400 pod filters on ebay claim they fit, but they dont. mine are 54mm and those are all 48mm)....

i SHOULD polish the air filter cases :). They look a bit shiny in the middle cause are taped up lol cause the screws were stripped and not holding them together....

In fact 1hr after this pic, i found someone on craigslist who came over and traded a new air boxes + mufflers + headers for an old pair of side covers i had (GOOD TRADE 4 me)...

that is looking nice

i my opinion a set of wire wheels would look good on it

Yeh i thought i may try it in future... do 81 xs400 wire wheels swap into a 78 x400?

Id love to have this old time look:

775.jpg

• Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online