1980 dt175, oil around magneto?

saltcreekknife
This post is 5043 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

Hello folks, New to this site. I just got a 1980 DT175. It doesn't run, but the odometer says it only has 1200 miles on it. Seems to be in good shape. I am just cleaning it up right now and tinkering. I took the cover off the magneto side and there was about 8 or 9 tablespoons of oil that came out. I don't think this one has points, so I am not sure this is normal. Do I have an oil leak through the seal or is this normal?

Thank you in advance.

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

Hi, yes it seems you may have an oil leak trough the crank seal. Get it running and see if it is also an air leak through the seal.

Can be changed with engine in frame , you wil need a flywheel puller and something to get hold of the flywheel (without damaging it) so you can undo the nut holding it on.

...Paul

Hi, yes it seems you may have an oil leak trough the crank seal. Get it running and see if it is also an air leak through the seal.

Can be changed with engine in frame , you wil need a flywheel puller and something to get hold of the flywheel (without damaging it) so you can undo the nut holding it on.

...Paul

I thought that might be the case... I also suspect I have a leak on the other side as oil is leaking out of the other crankcase cover. The bike will not start, so I bought a compression tester, and it has no compression. The guy I boight it from said it was running fine then just stopped. The odometer shows 1200 miles, and it looks to be in great shape. Would the oil seals cause this? It does not seem like it would. I have ordered a manual to get started, but it looks like I am going to need to do a top end re-build. Is this hard? I do not mind learning. I am enjoying tinkering with the bike.

Any thoughts?

Also, where do I find a fly wheel puller?

By the way, I live in Decatur, Ga. USA. And my wife and I have some land in Alabama. There are about 500+ miles of dirt roads in the Talladega National Forest which I plan to explore once I get the bike running.

Thanks again for your help.

It would have to be a hell of a seal leak to cause no compression, take the head off and see if the piston is holed for some reason

Thanks for the info. I just ordered the needed parts. Would it be easier to leave the engine in the bike or remove it for this type of work?

I will keep you updated on how it goes.

Cylinder / cylinder head removal, and crank seals can be done with engine in frame, are you only going to change the left crank seal

I thought the left hand seal might be leaking, but on closer inspection it looks like oil is leaking out of the kick starter shaft. I ordered a complete engine gasket/seal kit, so I am probably going to go ahead and replace the left side seal also. I would like to get the bike started first, so I plan on replacing the right seal, pulling the head, and re-building the carb. to begin with. Once the bike is running, and I have the kick start seal replaced, I will check the left crank seal.

I am curious to see why there is no compression. Once I have the head off I will let everyone know what is going on.

By the way, you can get flywheels pullers on Amazon.com for about $12.00 us dollars.

Thanks again, (let me know if my plan on this makes sense)

-Karl

I thought the left hand seal might be leaking, but on closer inspection it looks like oil is leaking out of the kick starter shaft. I ordered a complete engine gasket/seal kit, so I am probably going to go ahead and replace the left side seal also. I would like to get the bike started first, so I plan on replacing the right seal, pulling the head, and re-building the carb. to begin with. Once the bike is running, and I have the kick start seal replaced, I will check the left crank seal.

I am curious to see why there is no compression. Once I have the head off I will let everyone know what is going on.

By the way, you can get flywheels pullers on Amazon.com for about $12.00 us dollars.

Thanks again, (let me know if my plan on this makes sense)

-Karl

crank seal replacement, do the left (magneto) side as you stated oil under the cover in the flywheel area.

Right side (Clutch side), well if you are going to replace this one you will need to buy either a pukka clutch locking tool or weld a couple of plain plates to a hande, this is necessary to remove the clutch basket. I think you have to do this from memory as well as removing the primary drive gear.

You will benefit from reading the recent topic 'CT3 runs then dies'

• Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online