stator colour

hobbo
This post is 5017 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

Ineed some advise on the condition of my stator, i run the bike yesterday and checked the output from the stator

no volts on volt meter, i checked new battery and was showing just over 12 volts when running put all lights on

and dropped it 1 volt, the reg/rec is new but does not even get warm with all lights etc on,all connections have

been cleaned up.I removed the stator from the bike and it was a burnt treacle colour/cofee colour on the copper

wires of the stator,what colour should it be and does it sound like its had it,i do have a spare one from a old

engine is it just the part with the wires and brushes and coil that has to be changed,the bike is fz600

thanks Dave.

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

checked the output from the stator

no volts on volt meter, i checked new battery and was showing just over 12 volts when running

The stator output is AC, did you have the correct setting on the meter ? The voltage at the battery is DC.

However, if you are showing just over 12v at the battery then there is a good chance you have a problem with the Stator -> Rectifier -> Regulator circuit, or you could have a blown fuse!!!

Very difficult to tell, for the information.

Make sure you set your meter to AC and check the inputs into the rectifier/regulator assembly, if you have volts then check the output (change to DC setting), work your way back to the battery. If you have no AC on the input side of the rec/reg then work back to the Stator until you find your problem.

Try checking the brushes. If they're worn past the mark on them, then you'll get no charge(by the way the colour is ok, it's what the stator gets covered in to protect the copper wire). I had a similar problem on My FZ600 & a XJ550.

Thanks for your replys,ihave replaced the stator and rotor from my other engine i had to get a puller from yam bits

for a tenner work well,this stator was also black when removed i checked all resistance on rotor and stator and looked

about normal,i replaced wires and cables were needed irun the bike and got my wife to check the 3 wires from stator

no current was showing on volt meter.the next day i connected some spade connectors to the stator wires and run the

bike this time i got over 60 volts on 3 wires i think i could of had fluke meter set up wrong or the wife was not

connecting with the connectors in the block properly, i run the bike again and put 2 fluke testers on battery

and only got about 12.5volts at any rpm the bike has a new tour max reg/rec on it so i checked the diodes on old

reg/rec and it was spot on so i replaced the new one with the old one and watched as the volts climed to 13.5/14

volts,looks like i paid £65.00 for a duff reg/rec so i all looks good now,idid price up a new stator and rotor

from yamaha and it was over £1,000 the bikes not worth that,the electrex fault finder was a great help.

Dave

• Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online