Newb XS400S owner

10K plus
This post is 5039 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

Hi all my names Mike from Canada and am now the very proud owner of of a 1981 XS400S. I have plans for the bike involving a cafe style setup. I have a problem with parts up where I live and am needing to know how interchangeable are the XS650 parts to the 400's. The parts needed are;

-Master cylinder (whole thing is buggered)

-Front Caliper and Rotor

-Engine parts (What I am asking here is if the 650 is just a bored and stroked 400?)

-Starter

Thanks all, I'll post some pics up when I get the machine in the works.

P.S. - What are some good online sites you guys buy from for parts, I found mikesxs, partsNmore and ol Bike bandit.

Nice to meet you all and thanks for looking.

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

Hi all my names Mike from Canada and am now the very proud owner of of a 1981 XS400S. I have plans for the bike involving a cafe style setup. I have a problem with parts up where I live and am needing to know how interchangeable are the XS650 parts to the 400's. The parts needed are;

-Master cylinder (whole thing is buggered)

-Front Caliper and Rotor

-Engine parts (What I am asking here is if the 650 is just a bored and stroked 400?)

-Starter

Thanks all, I'll post some pics up when I get the machine in the works.

P.S. - What are some good online sites you guys buy from for parts, I found mikesxs, partsNmore and ol Bike bandit.

Nice to meet you all and thanks for looking.

Some stuff is interchangeable and some stuff isn't. I've used a Master cylinder from MikesXS with success with my XS400. I believe you may need to do the engine parts on a piece by piece bases, as I doubt your question can be answered with a generalization.

You've already found many of the stores but there is also:

www.siriusconinc.com

www.ebay.com (actually has a lot of parts for the 400)

P.S. :welcome:

The XS650 engine is not simply an XS 400 bored out- that, I am certain of. If you look at them side, by side, there are many differences.

That being said, many years of XS 650s used the same Mikuni BS34 carbs that XS 400s used for years, though the jetting was different. I believe the engine internals are quite different, but external systems have a lot of overlap.

Right on guys thanks alot this helps out alot, the engine in it now seems to be great I was just curious about the 650 and thanks for all the input. All I really need is all exterior parts such as the whole master cylinder as the old one is weather beaten to nothingness (Still works but UGLEE!) Hopefully this weekend i can track down a manual for it as well, I went to the links stickied but they are all gone so bummer for me. Thanks again and see ya.