Yamaha SR 125 Engine Idle Problem

Derek Herbert
This post is 5029 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

Hi everyone,

I have a 89 SR125 which is having problems with the idle speed.

I have checked the Timing, Chain Adjuster, Tappet gaps (Inlet 0.05 mm, outlet 0.15mm), Air Filter Cleaned. There is no air getting into the system. The carb has been cleaned to an inch of its life, all holes blown and cleaned). The pilot screw has been loosley seated and turned out 2 full turns (throttle free play well within limits. I have started to adjust the idle screw and the engine will happily idle at 2400 and above revs but as soon as I start to turn out the screw to reduce the revs then the engine will stall and die. I can run the engine happily but as soon as I come to a stop in traffic or junction I have to keep the throttle open. Any help, please.

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

Well for a kick off I would say the pilot screw should be 1&3/4 turns out But you may be right as its an early model so I can't be sure & you will probably have tried different setting Having said this it is over 20 years old parts do wear out & no amount of cleaning can fix everything it may need new jet needle/throttle valve or carb replacing ? Your exhaust valve clearance 0.11mm -0.15 mm so try this at 12mm /inlet 0.05mm -0.09mm try 7mm ( I doubt this will cure the cutting out though,But may run better)

• Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online