Checking Interchangeability

akamor
This post is 5031 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

Hello All,

I have a general question about interchangeable motorcycle parts. If I go to a website like www.bikebandit.com and look in their OEM parts sections for the same part from two different bikes and they have the same part number does this mean they are interchangeable? What is a general method for checking part interchangeability? I need to buy a new carburetor on Ebay but it is for a different year motorcycle. According to www.bikebandit.com they have the same part number (and same cost). Does this ensure compatability?

Thanks as always.

Adam

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

catalogue mistakes aside, yes they are the same part cause that is the only part # they can go by!

Hello All,

I have a general question about interchangeable motorcycle parts. If I go to a website like www.bikebandit.com and look in their OEM parts sections for the same part from two different bikes and they have the same part number does this mean they are interchangeable? What is a general method for checking part interchangeability? I need to buy a new carburetor on Ebay but it is for a different year motorcycle. According to www.bikebandit.com they have the same part number (and same cost). Does this ensure compatability?

Thanks as always.

Adam

Adam,

a few years ago, out of desperation, I bought a kickstart shaft from a ty175 to fit my dt175. I checked the part no's and they were identical apart from the prefix. The shaft now languishes on a shelf looking down at me and laughing. One day I'm going to grind the splines off the bugger to teach it a lesson.

It was an expensive mistake

Hope this does'nt complicate the issue

Cheers

• Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online