is a 77 xs400 engine swappable into a 78?

This post is 5044 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

i found a good deal on a rebuilt 77 xs400 engine that Im debating buying, and while i am working on rebuilding my engine, I want to swap the 77 in so i can ride :) ...

Is there anything i need to look out for?

I'm asking as I bought the 77 carbs off this fellow before, and i noticed the carbs are a lillll different (throttle stop screw at the bottom, different float style 'plungers'). but even that seems swappable so I assume the engine is fine too.

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

i found a good deal on a rebuilt 77 xs400 engine that Im debating buying, and while i am working on rebuilding my engine, I want to swap the 77 in so i can ride :) ...

Is there anything i need to look out for?

I'm asking as I bought the 77 carbs off this fellow before, and i noticed the carbs are a lillll different (throttle stop screw at the bottom, different float style 'plungers'). but even that seems swappable so I assume the engine is fine too.

good to go mate, all sohc's fit!

sweet!, thanks drewp!

Hey drewp.

i noticed the engine he's selling has a module for contact lead wire instead of my split wire one (here is a pic of 4784111330_762af9d81e_z.jpg). also the contact breaker box looks a bit different on the right side...

Do you know what year his XS400 is from? he claims 1977

4784103498_fff5662aee_z.jpg

4783469747_ab34bb60e9_z.jpg

heh maybe he used a 78 xs500 contact breaker lead wire as it looks closer to that, or maybe it is an xs500 engine lol

its got the electronic ignition trigger which is usually a later engine (circa 1980) and the engine off a special/heritage type bike due to the rounded barrels.

there is a thread in the sticky to convert to electronic ignition if you want to go that route, otherwise sell the trigger mech and revert to contacts!

4G8 engine #?

its got the electronic ignition trigger which is usually a later engine (circa 1980) and the engine off a special/heritage type bike due to the rounded barrels.

there is a thread in the sticky to convert to electronic ignition if you want to go that route, otherwise sell the trigger mech and revert to contacts!

4G8 engine #?

Here is a larger pic:

DSC02509

Looks like a 4R4 engine number on there. cool, i can just easily put my contact assembly in there?

Maybe I'll work out electric ignition later ... or not, debating how easy it would be to do since im not good with electronics ;)

PS i guess since its probably a 80/81 xs400 engine as you said, will work out on a 78 frame? or will some modification of the engine frame need to be performed you think?

Here is a larger pic:

DSC02509

Looks like a 4R4 engine number on there. cool, i can just easily put my contact assembly in there?

Maybe I'll work out electric ignition later ... or not, debating how easy it would be to do since im not good with electronics ;)

PS i guess since its probably a 80/81 xs400 engine as you said, will work out on a 78 frame? or will some modification of the engine frame need to be performed you think?

As i said all sohc's will fit. B)

if the contacts can be upgraded, then i assume the reverse is true

As i said all sohc's will fit. B)

if the contacts can be upgraded, then i assume the reverse is true

cool, I shall give it a shot.

I'll definately have some questions for you and kmac on setting up the wiring when it comes down to it as it would be my first time doing anything with wiring (probably in a week or 2).

A lil intimidating ;)

Thanks!,

Arian

4R4 should be an 81.

If you want to do the upgrade on it, I would buy new connectors here: .

They've got everything you could need, and their crimper isn't half bad either.

4R4 should be an 81.

If you want to do the upgrade on it, I would buy new connectors here: .

They've got everything you could need, and their crimper isn't half bad either.

cool nice to know its an 81

On a related sidenote: I was debating checking inside the electronic rotor cover where that connector goes into.... just to make sure its all clean in there (not sure what you'd call it, but its where the contact points on the older model usually go)... and the big hole on the right side has no screw in it... i take out the left side screw and it swivels a bit as if theres a screw still in that big hole... but all i see inside is a perfectly flat area at the end...

Should there be a screw in that bigger hole? How do you get the cover off hehe?

EDIT: Just wanted to update this in case other peeps are curious...

The 'big hole' on the right ride is actually an anti-tamper plug over a screw... Kmac informed me you need to drill it out if you want to reset timing (which usually isn't needed often i hear on these electronic ignition bikes).

Also the wires coming out from alternator/stator cover are a bit different on this engine. 1 of the wires has 3 wires going into the end connector when on the 78 it has 4... the extra wire on the 1978 seems to power the headlight? relay assembly ... So I just swapped out my 78 cover and put it on this engine since Im using the 1978 harness (with just 81 electronic stuff spliced into the harness to go along with the engine).

• Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online