XV1600 idle revs

jenkovix
This post is 5055 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

Hi,

I own a Wild Star 1600cc. After the engine warmed up I push the choke back and the idle revs go really low. The engine won't cut out it just spins at a low rate. If I am turninf for example in a roundabout in first or second gear (depends on roundabout size), I can't do it without pulling some extra throttle. At idle revs it yanks. Adding a small throttle: everything goes smoothly. She does it in each gear.

She is in a very nice condition with low mileage and the carburettor was never opened and everyting else is factory fitted (pipes, air filter, etc).

Thank you for your help

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

Well, my first thought is that you're either in the wrong gear, or you're not using the powerband correctly.

For an average roundabout, I'll be in 2nd gear with about 30-40% throttle. Enough to actually drive the thing round (please don't ever drag in the clutch and coast round corners), but not so much that I'm blasting.

My second thought is that, if this the cause of your problems, simply turn the idle up.

There should be an idle adjustment screw somewhere, probably on the left of the cylinders. See the owners manual for details.

If this still doesn't help, check first your air/fuel mixture and then have your timing checked.

Pull the clutch in, give it some revs and feather the clutch back out to pick up the drive. This will get you back on the power without snatching. They all seem to be snatchy at low revs in 1st or 2nd. Like Ttaskmaster says, Drive it round corners (or it will run wide)

• Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online