Gas Cap Gasket for 1976 XS 500

Dan Baldwin
This post is 5061 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

mikesxs

the gas cap will need dismantling if you are lucky it is screwed together,if not you will need to remove the rivets and then replace with screws when you rebuild

I just ordered one for my 1980 XS400 from BikeBandit.com. Little pricey ($22) but Yamaha didn't list one any longer.

I just ordered one for my 1980 XS400 from BikeBandit.com. Little pricey ($22) but Yamaha didn't list one any longer.

Mikes XS ones are $7 did you get a whole cap for$22 ??

Do you have a part number for what you ordered from BikeBandit? When I called they could only provide the whole gas cap assembly for my 1976 XS500 for $97

I'm having a guy derust & line my tank for $150. Found his add in the VJMC magazine.

I'm cleaning the gas cap myself. The rubber gasket is a bit cracked around the edges. Anyone know where a newer or better one might be acquired?

That seems pricey to me, do you have any idea what he is using to line your tank? I just finished de-rusting and lining my tank for around $50.

That seems pricey to me, do you have any idea what he is using to line your tank? I just finished de-rusting and lining my tank for around $50.

Below is the ad for the guy I found in the VJMC magazine. While I'm not crazy about spending more than I have to, I'm also not crazy about paying more to fix stuff after I mess it up.

I spoke to Blake on the phone and he said he'd done about 150 tanks with his process. I can't remember the details but it seemed a bit more scientific than me putting mystery goop into my tank and shaking it over my head for several hours.

Call Blake at 760-732-3950 I'm sure he'll explain his process. He seemed pretty friendly.

He's also recommended by one of the only local motorcycle repair shops that will even take a call about an older bike, North County Motorcycles at 760-746-7467. They say they refer business to him and use him themselves for old tank restoration.

Blake_Tank_Ad.jpg

Below is the ad for the guy I found in the VJMC magazine. While I'm not crazy about spending more than I have to, I'm also not crazy about paying more to fix stuff after I mess it up.

I spoke to Blake on the phone and he said he'd done about 150 tanks with his process. I can't remember the details but it seemed a bit more scientific than me putting mystery goop into my tank and shaking it over my head for several hours.

Call Blake at 760-732-3950 I'm sure he'll explain his process. He seemed pretty friendly.

He's also recommended by one of the only local motorcycle repair shops that will even take a call about an older bike, North County Motorcycles at 760-746-7467. They say they refer business to him and use him themselves for old tank restoration.

Blake_Tank_Ad.jpg

Well, if you are concerned about doing it yourself, I suppose letting someone else do it may be worth the money. What I did was to use electrolysis to remove the majority of the rust from the tank, then I used a POR-15 motorcycle kit for the rest, which is a 2 to 3 step process for removing rust and sealing the tank. Several people including myself have used or are in the process of using this method. I had absolutely no problems and all the rust has been removed and the sealant has remained intact with no peeling of any kind.

You are welcome to have it "professionally" done if that is what you prefer, just wanted to let you know there are less costly methods available.

Dan,

Since I have not seen a bike of your vintage, I don't know what the gas cap gasket looks like and if it is the same as on my 1980 XS400 Special. Actually, when I just checked my order and BikeBandit's site I realized they don't show a gas cap gasket for the 1980 version but show one for the 1981 version. My son has a 1981 XS400 Special II and the gas cap is exactly the same so I ordered the part from a 1981 XS. Below is the link to their site. Scroll down and look at part #25. It is difficult to tell from the pic exactly how the gasket is made. On our bikes, the gasket is grooved and must fit around a flange on the underside of the cap so the gasket is not just a simple flat piece of rubber. I consider this a safety item and should be replaced if cracked. Since these bikes have a pretty long life, it should still be supplied by the manufacturer. Maybe I am just spoiled - I have a 1990 and a 1977 Mercedes sedan and virtually everything is still available for these vehicles and, at reasonable prices.

http://www.bikebandit.com/houseofmotorcycles/yamaha-motorcycle-xs400sh-1981/o/m8262

Here you go - found this UK website last night. They have a nice selection of NOS and repro parts at good prices, even with "across the pond" shipping. Fits XS500 1976-79. Does not specifically say it includes a gasket but you could ask the question before purchase.

http://cgi.ebay.com/YAMAHA-XS500-XS-500-NEW-FUEL-CAP-/270473209065?cmd=ViewItem&pt=UK_Motorcycle_Parts&hash=item3ef975a4e9#ht_889wt_913

Here you go - found this UK website last night. They have a nice selection of NOS and repro parts at good prices, even with "across the pond" shipping. Fits XS500 1976-79. Does not specifically say it includes a gasket but you could ask the question before purchase.

http://cgi.ebay.com/YAMAHA-XS500-XS-500-NEW-FUEL-CAP-/270473209065?cmd=ViewItem&pt=UK_Motorcycle_Parts&hash=item3ef975a4e9#ht_889wt_913

yes that will have a gasketv

merv

yes that will have a gasketv

merv

Mervin,

Thanks for the clarification. Thought it would have the gasket. Haven't seen anything like it or near it's price here.

• Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online