Yamaha Maxim XS 400 1984

cutthroat22
This post is 5053 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

Hi all

New to this forum and also new to bikes for the most part as will be evident shortly.

Long story short I went down to change the oil today and was trying to take the oil filter cover off and it snapped in half :o

I was/am a little upset but am mostly worried about obtaining a replacement! I have found one on ebay for about 60 bucks including shipping but it could take 2 weeks to get here and I can't wait that long!..

Any help would be extremely appreciated sourcing this part, a website, a contact, anything!!!!

I am located in Vancouver, BC, Canada and our riding season isn't long enough to have downtime!!

1984 Yamaha Maxim XS400

Thank you in advance!!

*Edited to add pic of the part i broke*

June1-15166.jpg

June1-15167.jpg

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

wow was the gasket stuck and you pryed it with a flathead screwdriver? hope you didn't damage the center bolt if it's like mine it acts like the center of the filter and you just slip the element over it.

have you looked at www.mikesxs.net

No i was tightening it while trying to loosen it :o so it just bent and cracked.

While i was tightening it oil was spewing out so i kept going thinking i was taking it off until a piece fell off the I knew i was screwed :(

Thanx for the link i have sent an inquiry but that's mostly for the 650's...

Called around the dealers and they can get it but I might have to wait a month or so...

Also found one on ebay for a 1982 and it looks the same but waiting for response from the seller...

Price doesn't matter anymore i just want the part!!

mines an '82 xs400sj and from your pics it looks the same minus the cracks. (sorry couldn't help it). so I was gonna replace my paper element aswell as clean the screen, are those threads left or right handed?

edit: just found that K&N sells an oil filter for the xs400 and the same filter is used on every model xs400 from '78-'84 from what I could find so I'd assume all the covers are the same. maybe the only differance would be number of cooling fins and fin hight other then that the diameter would be the same and the bolt hole should be the same, although the more I look at pics of them from diff. years and the newest one I can find is an '81 they all hold the filter in the cover where yours looks like it flush mounts

Well I think I am going to order this one cover as it sure looks the same as mine but hard to tell with the small picture so waiting on seller to provide a bigger picture.

I can order it from Yamaha dealer but will take a month to ship from Japan :blink:

Edit* the filter does not sit in the cover on mine.

I ordered this. The only difference I can see is that it says "s-2" while mine says "s-1". It is from an 1982. I have looked over both for an hour comparing and I really can't see a difference...so hopefully that's the case when it arrives!

Thanx for all the input!

SMALL2.jpg

SMALL1.jpg

I found your answer, make sure if thats an '82 it's from either the seca or the maxim but not mine the xs400SJ (heritage speacial) my bike was the last of that engine, starting in '82 with the seca's and maxim's all future xs400's had the dohc 399cc not the sohc 392cc

Scroll to the bottom of the page for a complete list of the xs400 line and the basic differaces

A moderator should take the chart on this link page and sticky or tac it to the boards as it has some very good info thats kinda hard to find.

]

A moderator should take the chart on this link page and sticky or tac it to the boards as it has some very good info thats kinda hard to find.

noah, its in the xs400 link sticky now

drewps

I ordered this. The only difference I can see is that it says "s-2" while mine says "s-1". It is from an 1982. I have looked over both for an hour comparing and I really can't see a difference...so hopefully that's the case when it arrives!

Thanx for all the input!

there was 2 power versions of the dohc engine a 38 and a 45 bhp might explain the different code or its just a casting stamp (series 2?)

• 3 weeks later...