Still having hard start issues

cegan09
This post is 5070 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

So i'm still having issues getting the bike to start nicely. I've got brand new carbs (well, cleaned up to perfection), jetting is finally close to right for the pod filters, sync is almost perfect, and it runs really well. Idle is between 1000 and 1500 (my idle stop adjust screw wont' stay put and moves with vibration. need to loctite it.) But it won't start easily. If it's been off for 12 hours or more, even with a topped off battery, choke on or off, i can step on it for 10 minutes or so and nothing.

If it's been running in the past few hours then it's easy. A step or two with the run switch in the off position, then a good step with it in Run and it's started. If i give it a quick spray of starting fluid, even just .5 second spray or less to one side, then kick, it starts right up, so my thought is it still can't draw enough fuel through the start circuit to get going after it's been sitting.

Any suggestions on things to tweak next? I'm still fine tuning it at this point, so i'm just looking for the one thing i'm missing for this issue. I don't use the electric start for 2 reasons. 1. i have issues with my button grounding, and the starter refuses to disengage, so i've disconnected it. 2. It cranks so slowly on the electric starter it never has a chance of starting anyway.

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

So i'm still having issues getting the bike to start nicely. I've got brand new carbs (well, cleaned up to perfection), jetting is finally close to right for the pod filters, sync is almost perfect, and it runs really well. Idle is between 1000 and 1500 (my idle stop adjust screw wont' stay put and moves with vibration. need to loctite it.) But it won't start easily. If it's been off for 12 hours or more, even with a topped off battery, choke on or off, i can step on it for 10 minutes or so and nothing.

If it's been running in the past few hours then it's easy. A step or two with the run switch in the off position, then a good step with it in Run and it's started. If i give it a quick spray of starting fluid, even just .5 second spray or less to one side, then kick, it starts right up, so my thought is it still can't draw enough fuel through the start circuit to get going after it's been sitting.

Any suggestions on things to tweak next? I'm still fine tuning it at this point, so i'm just looking for the one thing i'm missing for this issue. I don't use the electric start for 2 reasons. 1. i have issues with my button grounding, and the starter refuses to disengage, so i've disconnected it. 2. It cranks so slowly on the electric starter it never has a chance of starting anyway.

could be ignition, starter fluid raiseing the octane rating to at least get a fire!!

try checking your earthing, undo the straps and clean the area (the starter slowly moving indicates this!)

check igntion timing

check battery for amps or try a tempory car battery

drewps

thanks drewpy. The starter has been slow forever, it finally died on me, just completely dead, i think because it was being spun by the engine at one point without me knowing it. I put a spare one in, and same slow crank, just chalked it up to being a 34 year old starter that was wearing out. I'll go and check all the grounds.

Battery should be fine, it's almost new, but i can check it again. I should probably put new plugs in, but even those are under 5000 miles old, probably less.

Thanks for the tips. I'm stuck on this idea that it's all in the carbs. It's getting better, and i'm starting to learn the bike and what changes do what, which is rewarding.

thanks drewpy. The starter has been slow forever, it finally died on me, just completely dead, i think because it was being spun by the engine at one point without me knowing it. I put a spare one in, and same slow crank, just chalked it up to being a 34 year old starter that was wearing out. I'll go and check all the grounds.

Battery should be fine, it's almost new, but i can check it again. I should probably put new plugs in, but even those are under 5000 miles old, probably less.

Thanks for the tips. I'm stuck on this idea that it's all in the carbs. It's getting better, and i'm starting to learn the bike and what changes do what, which is rewarding.

after 5k miles, i'd replace the plugs ;)

When I had the idle mixture too lean, I couldn't kick start it to save my life. I richened it up quite a bit and it's first kick every time. Might not be it, but worth a try.

• Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online