need little advice

magda
This post is 5082 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

hi there!!

my 1st post :D

I ride my cute little R125 for over a year now and soon will be taking the test ;)

My dream bike is FZ8 but I am not sure if I should go straight for such a big engine ....

can anyone give me some advice if this actually good idea... I want to buy brand new bike and keep it for years so I want to choose the perfect one B)

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

Welcome along.

FZ8, wow!

I doubt you'll find anyone with any experience of that bike, being so new. But from the rag reports it sound like a good middle weight bike with big bike performance, so as far as living with the bike I'd say it'll be a great bike.

However, (and you know this better than me) many people say what you are saying, yes you may intend to keep it, but once you get a bigger bike the chances are you'll decide you want a sportsbike/cruise/adventure bike and then you'll be looking again.

My advice would be to look around for a 600cc bike 2nd hand and run it for a year, get one winter out of the way and get some <big bike> miles under your belt. At some point you'll come close to (if you manage to avoid it) dropping the thing. And you don't want to turn your new pride and joy into a scratched pile of dislike. Get a cheap one to get used to the bikes then look at a new bike. This will give the 800 a chance to get the gremlins sorted too, before you part with your hard earned readies, nothing worse that being the test rider for a new bike that has problems......

Just one opinion, neither right nor wrong.

thanks!! ;)

I think you are right, I may change my mind...it looks like it's not only women's thing ;)

I want a street bike though, R125 kills my back!

oh I can't wait to take that L plate off!!! B)

Hi Magda,

I think Gas-up is making a lot of sense. Guess it depends on how much experience you have and how often you ride + how much £££ you've got.

I had 50cc scooter for just short of 2 years + used daily (even in snow :wacko:!) which gave me basic skills on control. In that time some idiot reversed into me in his 4x4 at a set of red lights... then moved to my XVS 125 which I had for another year and a half + used daily all year round.

Then added my XVS1300 to the 125 + use this on weekends only. This is my pride + joy & wouldn't have dreamed of jumping straight on this without having had loads of practice/experience in all weather conditions. I will cry if I drop it!!!

I've just swapped my 125 for a 600cc 2001 Fazer as my daily commuter - its great! And you can pick up decent 2nd hand bikes for around £1,800 which is much better than full cost of a new bike!

• Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online