XS400 ignition problems

01ps
This post is 5111 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

I have an 82 XS400 with electronic ignition.

The last time I had my bike running it was fine. It sat for about 12 days in the garage, battery unhooked most of it. I installed a new battery today (freshly charged) and it would not start, turned over and over and then one huge backfire. I pulled the left plug and had no spark.

Here are the symptoms

-I shorted the battery by accident to the frame while I was installing it.

-Sometime I get a spark in the right cylinder, sometimes not.

-When the right cylinder is working, if I swap the signal wires to the coils I will get spark in the left cylinder, none in the right.

-After the starter runs and stops, there is a pause and then a spark on the right cylinder (discharge?)

-I checked all the plugs leading to the coils, the pickup coil, etc.

-I am using a booster pack for a battery power.

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

Update : now I have nothing, no spark at all. I have checked all the connection to all the plugs and cleaned them, I opened the ignitor box to see if I can see any damage, nothing at all, no solders cracked, no hot spots, etc. I checked the off/run/on switch and it seems to be working. Cleand and checked the conections inside the headlamp.

I guess I need to know how to test the ignitor, the rectifier, etc. I don't have access to any parts bikes so this could be difficult.

Update again

I found the problem, one of the terminals int the plug to the ignitor was busted in two. Replaced an away I go. Took me 7 hours and tearing half my bike apart to find it. I checked that plug about 6 times before I noticed it...

• Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online