Tyres and sprockets

DJ Rusty
This post is 5109 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

Hi guys,

Im after some advice please. Had a service done last week on my fazer 600s, nearly two years old and already up to 9500 miles on it....wooo hooo. Anyway, was told that i would need a new rear tyre soon, about a thousand miles left on it, even though there`s loads of `meat` on it, the middle is starting to wear thin apparentley, so, my question, whats the average millage on tyres anyway? Also, do i have to have the front one changed at the same time, even if there is nothing wrong with it? And finally, sprockets? whats the recomended milage before change, i know theres things to consider like condition and `mad riding` but just a rough idea as to how long these things last for.

If these queries sound silly to you then forgive my ignorance but we all started some where.

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

i dont know much about the fazer 600 apart from there allot of fun, but how long tiers last for depends on a number of variables i.e what conditions you ride in, what the roads are like where you ride, what type/brand you get, how many burnouts you do, even your riding stile can even affect how long your tiers last. but iv always said try and buy the best tiers you can afford. ask the bloke before you buy them what the average life expectancy is and they should give you a figure.

as for sprockets as long as you keep your chain in good condition and at the correct tightness it should last quite a long while. i had an xvs 125 and the sprocket lasted me 3 years of wheel spins, trying to pull wheelies, burnouts and general thrashing about.

two years old and already up to 9500 miles on it....wooo hooo.

I take it you are on the original tyre ? then 9500 miles on one of these bikes is pretty good, and it say alot about your riding style.

You can replace the rear without replacing the front, as long as the rear matches your front, and for this I would take advice from the fitting shop if you want to change type. If you are happy with the tyre you have, then just repalce it with the same type and away you go - it's normal to get 2 rear tyres to one front. Your replacement tyre won't last as long as the OE (original equipment) tyre.

There are different tyres ranging from sticky rubber (for crazy cornering) that lasts a few thoousand miles to touring rubber that will last 10 - 15 K, where you gain on miles, you loose on 'stickyness' Your current tyre life suggests that you do not need any super-sticky rubber.

In my experience most tyres will rapidly wear down when you get to the last couple of mm's, on a VFR I had I set off to work with about 2mm on the rear and got home (130 miles later) with a tyre that was just legal (1mm) but there are lots of reasons why the rate-of-tyre-wear can change.

Sprockets, the easiest rule of thumb is how often you need to adjust your chain (Oh, and watch the adjuster bolts in the Fazer, they can furr up and be a right sod to shift if they've not been greased). When you find that you are adjusting your chain every week, or when you get close to maximum adjustment then it's time for a change. Sprockets and chain should be changed at the same time.

A worn front sprocket will look like sharks teeth, hooked over at the top. This isn't because they have 'bent' but one edge has worn away to make them look like sharks teeth, or hooked, or like waves (as a child would draw them).

Another way to see if the chain is 'stretching' is to try pulling it away from the rear sprocket, there is usually some movement but if you can pull it clear (from the rear-most point) then that is a good indication that something is wrong.

A chain and sprocket set is going to cost something like £100, depending on what you replace it with - so consider a chain oiler, you will double the life of your chain/sprockets (if it's fitted and setup right - it's not hard but some people have no idea, can't follow simple instructions and won't listen to advice!). You can get these from £30 to £200++, Scottoiler V-System is probably the most well known and best value in my opinion. My current bike has 17,000 on the original chain with a scottoiler, and about 1/4 of the adjustment used so far. Keeping on top of your cahin lubriaction is the only way to extend the life of your chain.

Hope this helps a bit.

• Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online