XS400 running too rich

phil63146
This post is 5119 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

1982 XS400 bike. This bike will make your eyes water after 15 seconds, it runs so rich. The air filter is clean and both plugs are firing. The factory book shows no air/fuel mixture screws on the carbs. Earlier years show having the air/fuel mixture screws. Does anyone have experience in correcting this problem on this vintage bike? Thanks in advance.

Phil

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

1982 XS400 bike. This bike will make your eyes water after 15 seconds, it runs so rich. The air filter is clean and both plugs are firing. The factory book shows no air/fuel mixture screws on the carbs. Earlier years show having the air/fuel mixture screws. Does anyone have experience in correcting this problem on this vintage bike? Thanks in advance.

Phil

there is, its just that they have a plug over them and that needs to be extracted.

are you sure it isn't oil burning?

there is, its just that they have a plug over them and that needs to be extracted.

are you sure it isn't oil burning?

No, it is definitely gas and not oil. Looking at my factory book I can't identify what cap need to be pulled to be able to adjust the air/fuel mixture. What is the air/fuel adjuster called in the parts manual?

Thanks, Drewpy.

Phil

No, it is definitely gas and not oil. Looking at my factory book I can't identify what cap need to be pulled to be able to adjust the air/fuel mixture. What is the air/fuel adjuster called in the parts manual?

Thanks, Drewpy.

Phil

the manual call's it out as the pilot screw. i drilled a small hole in the cap then pry'd it out . i also got an air leak when i removed them and reinstalled them . so i got a new set with new o-ring's from http://www.mikesxs.net/products-37.html#products

the manual call's it out as the pilot screw. i drilled a small hole in the cap then pry'd it out . i also got an air leak when i removed them and reinstalled them . so i got a new set with new o-ring's from http://www.mikesxs.net/products-37.html#products

Thanks for the info! I'll be ordering those along with carb kits. I'll be sure and post the results.

Phil

• Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online