Dragstar Trike Clutch Slipping

Virago1959
This post is 5126 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

Hi

I'm in the VSOC and one of our members has a very perplexing proglem. He has a Dragstar Trike. After being on a ride-out, after a while the clutch slips and doesn't drive the bike. If left to cool for half an hour, all is OK again. We have broached the possibility that the Oil is becoming too viscous and allowing the clutch to slip when the oil is too hot, and suggested maybe an oil cooler. I have asked if the bike ever had anything like slik50 put in - not to his knowledge.

Any Ideas?

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

Be sure your're not using oil designed for cars. They have extra additives that may result in clutch slippage.

Could the clutch be on it's last legs? Does in slip in all gears ? Worse in higher gears?

this is what i would do.(in this order )

change the oil ( go to the bike shop and get some decent stuff )

check all cables and levers

see if this sorts it

if not check the clutch springs and plates.( take it to pieces yourself or take it to someone who knows what there doing )

just a question was the clutch uprated when the conversion was dun?

might be that its worn out or is just not good enough for the conversion.

Clutches are adjustable, not just at the cable either. you should have a little free play in the clutch or the engine heat will expand the pushrod...followed by slip. ok i am making a few assumptions here but I suggest you get a manual and find out about adjusting the clutch on this engine. it may of course be too late now as if slipping is allowed and not dealt with immediately the plates can get hard and glazed and will need replacement anyhow. :huh:

• Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online