DT250MX Crank seals help

happysnapper
This post is 5135 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

Hi All

I ave a dt250mx (1980) and need to change the crank seals, now I have never done this before or stripped an engine this far.

So my questions are:

How do I do it, is it just a matter of taking it apart and carefully noting the procedure and then putting it back together.

Do I have to split the cases or can the be done from the outside.

Ad last do I need any special tools.

Oh and if any one has a step by step guide.........(think that's asking to much). :D

Thanks an hope I don't sound to much of a muppet!!

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

Hi Yes I have an air leak and it's pointing to the crank seals.

:)

Well i expect it to be similar to the 175. How much appetite have you got to do a full engine out and cases split. if you only plan on doing the seals alone I would attempt to do them with engine still intact and in the frame. Of course this does rather depend that your crank bearings are in good order this will save a lot of time.

It's your call.

Well i expect it to be similar to the 175. How much appetite have you got to do a full engine out and cases split. if you only plan on doing the seals alone I would attempt to do them with engine still intact and in the frame. Of course this does rather depend that your crank bearings are in good order this will save a lot of time.

It's your call.

Hi Thanks for replying, don't have much of an appetite for an engine out job! just want to get riding as I have spent all winter getting it ready and thought when I stared it it would be straight down to the mot station.

So just want to get the seals done the easiest way I can. :D

• Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online