What Carb Kit Do I need?

flutterball
This post is 5093 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

Another question: Have a 1982 XS400RJ Seca, need to rebuild/clean the carbs, pretty sure they are 34mm Mikuni (2 of them) what rebuild kit do I need for my bike (gasket, needles etc.). Can I buy one from MikesXS, or is there some other source (live in Ontario, Canada but can order on-line). Just want to order the correct ones, then will finally get around to cleaning out my carbs.

Thanks in advance,

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

Another question: Have a 1982 XS400RJ Seca, need to rebuild/clean the carbs, pretty sure they are 34mm Mikuni (2 of them) what rebuild kit do I need for my bike (gasket, needles etc.). Can I buy one from MikesXS, or is there some other source (live in Ontario, Canada but can order on-line). Just want to order the correct ones, then will finally get around to cleaning out my carbs.

Thanks in advance,

funnily enough based in Canada B)

Go to www.cycleorings.com and get a set for the carbs. there will be 4 sets so you'll have a spare pair. This will replace all the old o rings in the carbs. Cook the rest in carb dip available from an auto parts store for about 20 bucks.

The o rings are 14. That's a 34 dollar rebuild job. Worked for me. The mikunis are the same as used on Suzuki and kawasaki bikes

funnily enough based in Canada B)

Curious the XS400 Haynes manual has one of the carb jets as #142.5 and I think the Keystar Kit has #132.5.

Typo or can trust the Keystar Kit... if using aftermarket pipes, what jets and what sizes should have on hand to use in case need to go with another size jet (only the main jet or other jets as well?)?

• 1 month later...

Curious the XS400 Haynes manual has one of the carb jets as #142.5 and I think the Keystar Kit has #132.5.

Typo or can trust the Keystar Kit... if using aftermarket pipes, what jets and what sizes should have on hand to use in case need to go with another size jet (only the main jet or other jets as well?)?

Saw these kits on ebay:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Yamaha-XS400-XS-400-SH-Special-Carburetor-Carb-Jet-Kit-_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQhashZitem4cef8844b9QQitemZ330436199609QQptZMotorcyclesQ5fPartsQ5fAccessories

versus these:

http://www.siriusconinc.com/pro-detail.php?pid=&product_id=712

Which one would you get? Wonder if you get more bang for the buck from the ebay kit.

If there's any question on whether something will work or not, go here http://www.cmsnl.com/yamaha-xs400_model16837/ and compare the different models for carb parts.

They aren't all the same, and when the maxim, and seca came out they were jetted different than the regular XS400's.

I want to say the seca/maxim were jetted richer.

Also, is the Canadian sister site to MikesXS.