1980 XS650 charging troubles

mooseheadluke
This post is 5145 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

I have a 1980 XS650 Special and it will not charge its battery. I thought it was the battery because it was old, so I replaced it, but it was not the battery. Then I opened up the cover on alternator and replaced the brushes because they are cheap and easy to replace. That didn't fix it either. So now I want to test the other parts of the charging system like the stator winding, rotor, voltage regulator, rectifier (I think it and the regulator are all one part?) Anyways, does anyone have any details on how to test these things so I can isolate the problem. FYI, when I rev the engine I get about 6.5 volts trying to charge the battery (dead).

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

Disconnect the brushes (reomove the holder assy to be sure nothing is connected across the slip rings)and measure the resistance between the 2 slip rings on the rotor. anything less then 4 ohms or an open circuit and the field windings have failed. very common on the XS, more so then regulator/rectifier failure.

Try voltage drop testing. Your parts may be fine but the connections could be bad or there is a small current being drawed to were it shouldnt be. Voltage drop testing is much easier then looking at a wiring diagrahm and making a shot in the dark where something might be wrong.

• Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online