rattle in final drive gear???

Randall
This post is 5164 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

Ok, I finally finished everything up on my 88 FZ750 and took it out to stretch it's "legs". But when I shifted into 6th gear it started rattling didn't sound like a motor rattle and have no idea where it came from so I quickly down shifted and it quit making the noise. Any ideas on what would be causing this problem? What I should look for? All other gears are fine no noise, no vibration or anything.

On a second note do you think it would be safe to ride as long as I don't shift into 6th? Like I said everything else checks out great.

Thanks,

Randall

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

Ok, I finally finished everything up on my 88 FZ750 and took it out to stretch it's "legs". But when I shifted into 6th gear it started rattling didn't sound like a motor rattle and have no idea where it came from so I quickly down shifted and it quit making the noise. Any ideas on what would be causing this problem? What I should look for? All other gears are fine no noise, no vibration or anything.

On a second note do you think it would be safe to ride as long as I don't shift into 6th? Like I said everything else checks out great.

Thanks,

Randall

Don't know the FZ but i know the questions that pop into mind.

Does the rattle quit when you use the clutch?

Does it stay at a constant frequency?

Does it happen at a particular speed?

Does it happen at a particular throttle opening?

Does it get louder/quieter?

Is it a loud mechanical low frequency noise (nearer to klonk than a whine) or the other way?

Can you carefully! Irepeat, carefully, replicate it on the stand?

The trouble with 'a rattle' is they can have many causes so the more info the better.

Bikes do try to tell us whats wrong we just have to listen to it properly.

Don't know the FZ but i know the questions that pop into mind.

Does the rattle quit when you use the clutch?

Does it stay at a constant frequency?

Does it happen at a particular speed?

Does it happen at a particular throttle opening?

Does it get louder/quieter?

Is it a loud mechanical low frequency noise (nearer to klonk than a whine) or the other way?

Can you carefully! Irepeat, carefully, replicate it on the stand?

The trouble with 'a rattle' is they can have many causes so the more info the better.

Bikes do try to tell us whats wrong we just have to listen to it properly.

1. yes

2. yes

3. not sure (was doing low speed final check of everything) will check again today at normal speed

4. same as #3

5. it seemed to stay the same but, will check it out more today

6. sounds kind of like putting a small rock in a can and shaking it

7. don't know I don't have access to a stand

It made me nervous when I first heard it and I immediatly clutched and down shifted. Better to be safe than sorry. Wanted to visually inspect before I did anything else plus I was close to home.

1. yes

2. yes

3. not sure (was doing low speed final check of everything) will check again today at normal speed

4. same as #3

5. it seemed to stay the same but, will check it out more today

6. sounds kind of like putting a small rock in a can and shaking it

7. don't know I don't have access to a stand

It made me nervous when I first heard it and I immediatly clutched and down shifted. Better to be safe than sorry. Wanted to visually inspect before I did anything else plus I was close to home.

Without wanting to push you for more answers, you say it quits when you use the clutch. As in you are still moving, coasting if you like. And in top the rattle is gone?

Could you have just not been traveling fast enough and it was the engine pinking and protesting at the load rather than any mechanical problem in the box? Just an option to consider, especially as pinking does sound like a little pebble shaken in a tin can.

Its just with the noise only happening in top when the clutch is engaged makes the box unlikely. If it was a problem in the box it would be there from whichever direction its driven. Its just that the gears on a motorcycle are on 2 common shafts, so any rattles generally affect all the gears as they share the same bearings/shafts.

As i said i know the tidlers boxes well enough but i've never played with a FZ, but thats my feeling at the minute.

Cynic,

You were right once I got the bike over 60mph and shifted into 6th it was fine. Guess I won't be using that gear very often where I live and ride. I greatly appreciate your help and input. Keep in mind this bike has been off the road for over 3 years hence the slow speed check. I took the bike for an hour and a half ride and everything else checked out good. Thanks again.

Randall

Cynic,

You were right once I got the bike over 60mph and shifted into 6th it was fine. Guess I won't be using that gear very often where I live and ride. I greatly appreciate your help and input. Keep in mind this bike has been off the road for over 3 years hence the slow speed check. I took the bike for an hour and a half ride and everything else checked out good. Thanks again.

Randall

No problem happy to help.

• 2 weeks later...

Cynic,

Randall

hi there!...i have just bought a 1988 fz750 i paid £225 for it and its mint.. and i tried it in my farm yard and it to made a noise in 6th gear

it has been off road for some time and the guy i bought it off said it made a noise in 6th gear..surely it shouldn`t make a noise a low speed..should it?..1,2,3,4 and 5 don`t...my noise is like a rumble or some one trying to stop a spinning tyre with a stick if that makes sense?????..can anyone help??...thanks jim.

• Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online