XS360 carb parts

BRB
This post is 5228 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

I am a new forum member and have recently purchased a XS360-2D with 9k miles as a cafe project to keep me busy this winter. I purchased the bike off Craigslist for $50 as a complete unmolested non-runner and did so without any research on specific model. If you own one of these models you probably know where I'm headed with this story.

I got the bike home tore it down a bit to get my bearings on how I wanted to proceed. First off I got online and quickly found out that this bike was only built 2-years and parts availability on some things is slim to non-existent depending on part and all parts I did locate seem to be very expensive. But through some research over the last week I have found that some parts can be cross-referenced and swapped from other models. Second, I have decided to concentrate on getting the bike fired off to see if this motor is a good runner or not. The previous owner described the bike he had stored for twenty some odd years as a bike he could never get running right and thought there was an issue with one of the coils. He could be partially correct but after removing the carbs and disassembling them I found they hadn't been touched, as in never been taken off and properly cleaned. One main jet was buggered up in the bowl and there were lumps off crap in the bowls. I had to drill the buggered main jet out of the bowl and easily found a new one at the local Yamashop. I found a good deal on bowl gaskets and float valve assy's and would like to pass the info on to other owners. Carb Kit Capital is where I purchased the parts, float valves-$10 and bowl gaskets $3, these are very good prices. The carbs as neglected as they were are in very good condition considering.

While waiting for the carb parts I plan on lubricating the piston rings in case they may be stuck from sitting. If anyone has any suggestions on any pre-lubrication procedures for a motor (rings/top end, etc) that has been sitting for years would be appreciated. I will also check points gaps, valve lash and timing, change out oil and check filter, sump screen and oil for any swarf. After I get the carbs rebuilt I will reinstall them and try to start it up.

I have checked the coils and primary resistance is good but secondary resistance readings were out of spec(9.5kohm), LSC 15kohm, RSC 24kohm. I read a post of someone using some $24 coils from Mikes XS, any thoughts or suggestions for coil replacements would be considered just in case originals don't fire. The battery was toast so I will probably use the battery out of my other bike to do my testing and then find/buy a suitable one for my cafe project later.

I see there are some XS360/400 owners on the forum so I definitely would welcome any suggestions or advise from them or anyone else that would like to chime in to help this project of mine along.

Thanks

Brad

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

Hello and welcome to our forum. When I was starting my XS360 for the first time I put an ounce of Seafoam in the cylinder to free up stuck rings. When adding fresh oil, I took off the tappet adjustment caps and put in half a liter through the head. You may want to replace the fuse box with modern blade type fuse holders. When you get it started check the charging system, the reg/rec is a bit of a problem on the XS. You are right about using other models for parts. 1976/77 RD and the entire XS line share a lot of cosmetic/chassis parts.

Hello and welcome to our forum. When I was starting my XS360 for the first time I put an ounce of Seafoam in the cylinder to free up stuck rings. When adding fresh oil, I took off the tappet adjustment caps and put in half a liter through the head. You may want to replace the fuse box with modern blade type fuse holders. When you get it started check the charging system, the reg/rec is a bit of a problem on the XS. You are right about using other models for parts. 1976/77 RD and the entire XS line share a lot of cosmetic/chassis parts.

XSwheels I have a Centech fuse box for the project. I will probably hide the battery under the seat cowl. Hopefully the electrics aren't trashed. Have you replaced any of the electrics on your 360? I have an extra single unit tympanium reg/rec, do you know if this would be suitable to replace the stock setup? Is your 360 stock?

Thanks for the reply

BRB

:welcome: BRB

must have missed ur post as prob pissed by then :lol:

never heard of a tympanium reg/rec?

the charging system is a brushless one and the voltage regulator excites the field coil and regulates the AC output that way, if that's any help to ya!

there are plenty of cafe racers done

here's my fave

caferacer.jpg

Hey BRB it sounds like you are well on your way to a nice cafe. My electrical system is stock with the separate adjustable regulator and rectifier. When I got the bike the regulator was burned out. I got lucky and got a NOS for $10 plus shipping on Ebay. The XS400 used the combination reg/rec so it is likely an easy upgrade. These bikes are a natural for a cafe style mod, but I am going with a military mode.

:welcome: BRB

must have missed ur post as prob pissed by then :lol:

never heard of a tympanium reg/rec?

the charging system is a brushless one and the voltage regulator excites the field coil and regulates the AC output that way, if that's any help to ya!

there are plenty of cafe racers done

here's my fave

caferacer.jpg

Drewpy, missed and pissed = good time! Thanks for the heads up on the charging system design. Is this charging system considered a generator type charging system instead of an alternator type system that most bikes use. There may be a devise offered out there that would handle the function of the separates on the XS. I did notice Yamaha modernized the regulator in later 400 models, this is something that might change over to the 360. Well I will just have to do some research but in the meantime I will just check out this charging system once I get the engine fired off and go from there.

Love the pic you posted. Yes I could see my bike looking similar if my pocketbook was a bit fatter. I like the tank on that bike, any idea what it is off? Also like the front fender, do you know what it is off of also? Any rear sets made for the 360?

Anything else you have to offer up on this XS model will be welcomed, thanks.

Hey BRB it sounds like you are well on your way to a nice cafe. My electrical system is stock with the separate adjustable regulator and rectifier. When I got the bike the regulator was burned out. I got lucky and got a NOS for $10 plus shipping on Ebay. The XS400 used the combination reg/rec so it is likely an easy upgrade. These bikes are a natural for a cafe style mod, but I am going with a military mode.

Hey that's great you found a replacement so cheap on fleabay I know they're a fairly expensive part. So is the 400 a one piece unit?

Military mode? What is the look of this style your going after?

Did some quick research and found this unit that claims to replace the part# I found listed in the parts fiche for the XS360 rectifier unit. A little expensive but most likely more efficient and modern than the stock parts: http://www.regulatorrectifier.com/catalog/product_info.php?products_id=2688

I did some follow up on this part and it does replace the two piece unit and they have another unit that is of the heavier heavy duty variety that they will email me the link once they get it listed. This unit may seem expensive but compared to replacing the stock parts it's a bargain.

This is the updated link for the heavier duty XS360 reg/rec: http://www.regulatorrectifier.com/catalog/19771979-Yamaha-XS360-Regulator-Rectifier

Drewpy, missed and pissed = good time! Thanks for the heads up on the charging system design. Is this charging system considered a generator type charging system instead of an alternator type system that most bikes use. There may be a devise offered out there that would handle the function of the separates on the XS. I did notice Yamaha modernized the regulator in later 400 models, this is something that might change over to the 360. Well I will just have to do some research but in the meantime I will just check out this charging system once I get the engine fired off and go from there.

it is an alternator , but its done without any mechanical connections just magnetic flux

the voltage regulation in yours and my xs400 up to '78/'79 was done mechanically and was the weak link (although they can be tweeked to compensate for wear) The combined reg/rec was due to electronics becoming cheaper and smaller and newtronics did an aftermarket combination which works on our bikes (sadly defunct now)

Love the pic you posted. Yes I could see my bike looking similar if my pocketbook was a bit fatter. I like the tank on that bike, any idea what it is off? Also like the front fender, do you know what it is off of also? Any rear sets made for the 360?

tank is a fibreglass honda item i belive, but you can get a similar effect with an xs750 tank. look at Wurths bike as he has one

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Owwd19VDbpg

essentially the 360 is the same chassis as the 250 and 400 up to '79 and rassk make rear sets for these bikes.

Anything else you have to offer up on this XS model will be welcomed, thanks.

look at thre xs400 links in this section and you willl find workshop downloads and other bits for you perusal

drewps

here's a cool racing 400 on youtube

it is an alternator , but its done without any mechanical connections just magnetic flux

the voltage regulation in yours and my xs400 up to '78/'79 was done mechanically and was the weak link (although they can be tweeked to compensate for wear) The combined reg/rec was due to electronics becoming cheaper and smaller and newtronics did an aftermarket combination which works on our bikes (sadly defunct now)

tank is a fibreglass honda item i belive, but you can get a similar effect with an xs750 tank. look at Wurths bike as he has one

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Owwd19VDbpg

essentially the 360 is the same chassis as the 250 and 400 up to '79 and rassk make rear sets for these bikes.

look at thre xs400 links in this section and you willl find workshop downloads and other bits for you perusal

drewps

here's a cool racing 400 on youtube

Great, lots of info to look at and contemplate about. If you look at my last post reply to XSwheels I left a link to a site that sells one piece reg/rec units $99. I figured through the specs given in the manual that the alternator puts out about 150w at 5krpm. Do you know the figure at idle because I'm wondering if the system will handle an upgraded H4 headlamp?

BRB

Great, lots of info to look at and contemplate about. If you look at my last post reply to XSwheels I left a link to a site that sells one piece reg/rec units $99. I figured through the specs given in the manual that the alternator puts out about 150w at 5krpm. Do you know the figure at idle because I'm wondering if the system will handle an upgraded H4 headlamp?

BRB

yamaha service manual only states 12amp @ 5k revs.

you can get halogen lamps from which have a lower wattage. I suppose you could get a AGM battery with a higher ampage to provide the nessary juice

drewps

• Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online