tx500 oil filter substitution

mattgm
This post is 4039 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

I'll have the engine up on a stand this week, and i'll take a look at what it would take to make an adapter. I don't think it should be that hard. If i can find a solution, and a place to make some at a decent price i'll let people know.

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

i wish i could find a picture of that part so i knew exactly what it was. i may still make my own, simply because i'm an engineer, and designing things is what i do. That said, i'll have someone with the correct tools make it so it looks a little nicer than the engine stand mounts i made.

i wish i could find a picture of that part so i knew exactly what it was. i may still make my own, simply because i'm an engineer, and designing things is what i do. That said, i'll have someone with the correct tools make it so it looks a little nicer than the engine stand mounts i made.

There was one on ebay a while a go (i missed it )- i think it looks like the filter mount with a different nipple on it -- basically the same thing only different thread - I was thinking of using the stock mount and welding another nipple on -

• 1 year later...

There was one on eBay a while a go (i missed it )- i think it looks like the filter mount with a different nipple on it -- basically the same thing only different thread - I was thinking of using the stock mount and welding another nipple on -

That was probably me or a buddy of mine (for his 74 TX500). I grabbed on off of eBay too for my 73 TX500.

There is not a filter produced by Fram, Purolator, K&N, etc etc that has the correct threads and gasket base diameter. The stock Threads are M22 x 1.5MM, they just don't make them in the size we would need to cross reference them to another filter.

The adaptor kit comes with a new base, gasket, washer, and oring. The new base has a groove cut into the filter gasket mounting surface to put the oring into. Then the washer goes on next, and then the new filter.

The new base has a thread of M20 x 1.5MM. Now, if you have the adaptor, you can go grab any M20 x 1.5MM filter from the auto store that will work. I used a Fram, but for the life of me, I cannot think of the number. I did not have to loosen the stator cover to get the filter off.

I will update the post with the filter I am using with the adapter kit installed.

*UPDATE 4/5/2011*

I am using a Fram PH6607 with my adapter kit for my 73 TX500.

• 2 years later...

Hey guys, just bought a 73' tx500 for my first bike, and ive been restoring it. It was sitting for about 13 years. I seem to be able to find all the parts i need except a reasonable oil filter. I found this site in my searches for a solution and read about the adapters. Ive tried ebay and NW parts already. NW has original filters i believe but they run around 30$ and im not sure how many are available. There's also one on ebay but its 70$! Im looking for a more permanent solution. Does anybody know if any of those adapters or another solution is available anywhere? Any help would be appreciated! Thanks!

• Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online