Yamaha XVS 1300A

JasonMc
This post is 5294 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

This is my first post so any feedback would be great. I've got a XVS 1300A Midnight Star which I think is superb. Passed my CBT a year ago this month, bought a Suzuki EN 125 2A which I rode around on until March this year for experience then took a 5 day DAS course at West Pennine Motorcycle School who i'd reccommend to anyone. Once I heard the examiner say, Congatulations you've passed, I'd already bought the bike in my head :o)

I'm still learning as prior to my CBT i'd never ever been on a motorbike. Had my first experience of a diesel spill the other day, exiting a roundabout. Soon as I hit it the front wheel went, I eased off the throttle, feet went down, bike stayed up but veered onto other side of road, thankfully no oncoming traffic or result could have been a lot different. Had a couple of dodgy drivers pull out on me also but had my wits about me. Other than those incidents it's been great riding and a great experience. Anyway, back to my question. Does anyone know how many miles you get on a full 18 litre tank? Also when the fuel light comes on what mileage can I get before i'm totally out of fuel? When the fuel light comes on I've probably done at most 12 miles before filling up. For an 18 litre tank I can't get anymore than 14 litres in it, i'm no maths genius but I take it that means there is approx a 4 litre reseve then? If anyone could shed any light on this that would be great. I've checked the user manual but no joy. Cheers!

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

Depends how your riding it! If I'm just pottering around, not on motorways, not riding hard, I get around 150 miles until the fuel light comes on, and topping up the tank takes about 12 litres, so that's about 55 mpg. The fuel light seems to come on early, as there's another 6 litres in the tank, and the manual says 3.7 I think. That seems to be quite consistent, so I reckon on 5 litres usable fuel after the light comes on, so I'd work on 50 miles max. Not that I've got anywhere near testing that out!!!

I also figured around 10 miles to a litre as I put £5 in within a few miles of my light coming on whilst on the motorway + got 50 miles before the light came back on.

Riding 2 up I get about 130ish miles before my reserve light comes on - have pushed it (again 2 up) to 25 miles on the red light but was convinced I was about to run out!

Haven't dared to test it any further as I once ran out completely on a 50cc scooter and that was bad enough pushing it half a mile to the petrol station (I'd just past a minute before!)

I also figured around 10 miles to a litre as I put £5 in within a few miles of my light coming on whilst on the motorway + got 50 miles before the light came back on.

Riding 2 up I get about 130ish miles before my reserve light comes on - have pushed it (again 2 up) to 25 miles on the red light but was convinced I was about to run out!

Haven't dared to test it any further as I once ran out completely on a 50cc scooter and that was bad enough pushing it half a mile to the petrol station (I'd just past a minute before!)

Yep like everyone else I get about 130-150 miles before the light comes on.. Most I have done is 25 miles, but I was sweating a lot as I got to the garage :-)

I have a small 1 ltr bottle that I got form a camping shop, for taking fuel in camping stoves... made of metal with a nifty pressure release valve.. I use that when I'm on a long run, not had to fill use it, but it was a nice to have when we where recently in the highlands of Scotland

Yep like everyone else I get about 130-150 miles before the light comes on.. Most I have done is 25 miles, but I was sweating a lot as I got to the garage :-)

I have a small 1 ltr bottle that I got form a camping shop, for taking fuel in camping stoves... made of metal with a nifty pressure release valve.. I use that when I'm on a long run, not had to fill use it, but it was a nice to have when we where recently in the highlands of Scotland

Hello folks ive managed to get up to 45 miles with fuel light on and thats my limit.

You are braver than me!! ;) Good to know though!

Hello folks ive managed to get up to 45 miles with fuel light on and thats my limit.

Bloody hell!! I did u notice how much it took to fill her up?

I have though it might be worth trying to run dry with 5 ltrs staped on the back, just to see... but then I think about sucking the crap out the bottom of the tank... na, just fill up whe the light comes on ;)

Thanks for your input guys, much appreciated. I managed 20 miles the other day when the light came on but bottled it and filled up :D Don't think i'd run it to 45 like Stu B but like clarkegray said, 'Good to know though' I think the general concensus from the replies is 10 miles per litre so i'll base it on that. I'll let you know if I ever reach 40 on the reserve though. Like your idea of a 1 ltr metal bottle for emergencies though Stu B, i'll have to invest in one. Thanks again for your answers guys. Safe riding!

• Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online