1978 XS500D Starting Issues

Rono
This post is 5311 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

Hi newbie here,

Just bought Yamaha XS500D, when I picked it up it started fine off the button, but it was just fresh off the charger. the next three or four starts went well after that I didin't use the choke as I thought you dont need to use it when its warmed up so it had to be 'persuaded' to turn over.

So basically after some failed starts (on the button) I had to kick start the thing, ever since it is a bit tempremental and has cut out on me twice (coming up to roundabouts and lights and so on). it doesn't like to idle and trys to cut out if I engage the choke whilst up and running.

Questions:

1. During all my failed starting attempts have I nackered the battery (two of in parallel after its restore).

2. is the idling issue due to the starting problems

3. I can start it on the kick relatively easily, will this recharge the batterie(s)

Thanks of helping,

Rono.

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

Questions:

1. During all my failed starting attempts have I nackered the battery (two of in parallel after its restore).

You hooked up dual batteries?

Poor idle can be caused by a low battery charge, clogged pilot jet, clogged main jet, dirty carb, weak coil, dirty plug, low octane fuel.. But I think you should buy a new spark plug and maybe a new rectifier/good rectifier to help with the charging problem you appear to be having

3. I can start it on the kick relatively easily, will this recharge the batterie(s)

Well no. But it will save the battery the large charge loss caused by the electric starter. You should test the voltage at your battery terminal, should be like 14 amps at 4,000 RPMs.

Questions:

You hooked up dual batteries?

Poor idle can be caused by a low battery charge, clogged pilot jet, clogged main jet, dirty carb, weak coil, dirty plug, low octane fuel.. But I think you should buy a new spark plug and maybe a new rectifier/good rectifier to help with the charging problem you appear to be having

Well no. But it will save the battery the large charge loss caused by the electric starter. You should test the voltage at your battery terminal, should be like 14 amps at 4,000 RPMs.

1.1 The previous owner has put dual batteries in it "to help it start". Thanks for the advice I will see how I get on, it started this morning almost first attempt off the battery so thats good.

• Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online