Ignitor rebuild?

phil63146
This post is 5122 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

• 3 weeks later...
Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

I am looking for dead 12R ignitor modules for an 82 XS400RJ or similar to experiment taking apart and replacing key components. If you have an old one you would like to donate to the cause, please reply.

Say- Did you know there are 5 sex offenders in your zc :o ; I don't have a spare dead one but would like to know how your experiment comes out if you get one.....

• 3 weeks later...

Say- Did you know there are 5 sex offenders in your zc :o ; I don't have a spare dead one but would like to know how your experiment comes out if you get one.....

I have successfully opened the module and found and received the obsolete power transistors and integrated circuit from a parts house in China. There is a small printed circuit board of which I can't identify the surface mounted components, but they are used to process the signal from the sensors so it should be OK. The 2 power transistors (one for each coil) and if it should die, there goes the fire from one coil, which makes a restart almost impossible. Those transistors take a heavy load and do a lot of work. I believe the integrated circuit is OK, but since I have a replacement I will replace it. The balance of the components on the main board are of the common variety and should be locally obtained with no problem. The big hold up is my having stripped my bike down to it's bare frame for a thorough cleaning, painting, and reassembly. If I didn't have confidence in the ignitor rebuild I wouldn't have the bike in pieces. I'll let you know how it goes.

If you can get the number from the old transistor it is usaully possible to find a data sheet for it, then you can choose a commonly available modern replacement. I've done many over the years, just because they use a heavily rated transistor doesn't mean its required. I've seen it wher they have used transistors rated at 5 amps, then changed a minor detail for a newer model but then used a transistor rated at 0.5 amp for what is essentially the same system.

They play lots of tricks to stop ignition boxes being universal. With the pulse coil input there are 3 basic designs of filter stage, none offers any real advantage over another, but one system will not be compatable with another so have to be accurately matched to the pulse coils. So they will swap and change the filter stage to prevent boxes from similiar models being used as replacements for other machines. I'm talking about older analogue set ups - this isn't the case for new digital systems where programming is specific to an engine.

9 times out of 10 its a transistor, but a resistor can catch you out too

If you can get the number from the old transistor it is usaully possible to find a data sheet for it, then you can choose a commonly available modern replacement. I've done many over the years, just because they use a heavily rated transistor doesn't mean its required. I've seen it wher they have used transistors rated at 5 amps, then changed a minor detail for a newer model but then used a transistor rated at 0.5 amp for what is essentially the same system.

They play lots of tricks to stop ignition boxes being universal. With the pulse coil input there are 3 basic designs of filter stage, none offers any real advantage over another, but one system will not be compatable with another so have to be accurately matched to the pulse coils. So they will swap and change the filter stage to prevent boxes from similiar models being used as replacements for other machines. I'm talking about older analogue set ups - this isn't the case for new digital systems where programming is specific to an engine.

9 times out of 10 its a transistor, but a resistor can catch you out too

Boys, we are really getting to the nuts and bolts now......yephee :)

Boys, we are really getting to the nuts and bolts now......yephee :)

The I.C. was made only by Hitachi and I was unable to find any spec sheet on it. The power transistors weren't too much problem to match and more than likely are the culprits. However, I don't trust the electrolytics so they will be replaced with 105 degree C ones. I plan on using 1% resistors as several originals have drifted. Concerning the small (unmarked) signal diodes, I think I will re-use the originals (what do you think)?

The I.C. was made only by Hitachi and I was unable to find any spec sheet on it. The power transistors weren't too much problem to match and more than likely are the culprits. However, I don't trust the electrolytics so they will be replaced with 105 degree C ones. I plan on using 1% resistors as several originals have drifted. Concerning the small (unmarked) signal diodes, I think I will re-use the originals (what do you think)?

Diodes are simple to check, capacitors less so. I have a test rig that will run the box off the engine so its easy for me to check if the parts I replaced have fixed the problem B)

• 1 month later...

Nothing to report on the ignitor rebuild. When I am finished with the ground up on the bike (except engine & tranny) I'll concentrate on the ignitor. I also purchased a used ignitor (at a fair price) as they are getting scarcer every year.

• 3 months later...

Nothing to report on the ignitor rebuild. When I am finished with the ground up on the bike (except engine & tranny) I'll concentrate on the ignitor. I also purchased a used ignitor (at a fair price) as they are getting scarcer every year.

Good thing I bought the extra ignitor because the rebuild project has so far been a failure. I don't know if I will ever attempt to find out where things went wrong.

• Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online