Bike suggestion

canusaybrady
This post is 5318 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

Hey Guys, im 16 and i want a bike. im pretty smart and wont do anything real stupid with a bike like seeing how fast it goes but im 6'2" and i know i need to go and get a feel for bikes but i just want to know what you think i should look at. i want a supersport so more along the lines of an R1 R6 or R125.

i dont know much about bike but if anyone knows a website i could go to and just read about them it would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Brady

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

What about a cheap old SR125 to start with? Keeps the insurance low, not too much in the way of bike expense lost if you drop it and you can muck about with it if you want to learn the maintenance stuff.

Just my twopence worth

P

You're 16, don't know much about bikes, but want a supersport like an R1/R6 or similar? Where do we send the flowers?

Seriously, I don't know what the 'learner' laws are like in the States, but over here at 16 you'd be stuck on a 50cc, 30-mph, kerb-crawling deathtrap for a year, then you could reach for the giddy heights of a 14bhp 125 at 17. If I were you, I'd be looking at a cheap'n'cheerful 125 for starters, the SR is as good as any, or a YBR (can you get them Stateside?), or how about an XT for a bit more room? Spend a year pootling about on one of these and you'll have learned some roadcraft, then you may be ready to start working up the capacity ladder.

As an example, my son is now 19 and his history (with pics to give you an idea) so far is:

16 - Suzuki TS50X (big bore kit, officer? It came like that, honest, I thought they all did 55-60mph!)

DavidonTS.jpg

17 - Suzuki EN125 - sweet little machine, good for 75mph with 16 stone me pinning it down.

EN125right.jpg

Passed UK test, restricted to 33 bhp for 2 years:

Kawasaki KLR250 trailie - laugh a minute machine, but a bit impractical for taking his burd out for runs

KLRattheShed.jpg

Currently Suzuki GN400 thumper - will sit at 80mph two-up all day, costs bugger all to run and scares the crap out of cagers with it's more-or-less open pipe!

DavidandSarah1.jpg

Next February his license goes unrestricted - he's looking at a middleweight CB500 or similar for then.

If you want a good read on lots of (mostly older) bikes, try looking here:

Clicky Linky Thing

You're welcome

6'2" and 16 ......

You are a trifle restricted I'm afraid. In fact I can't think of a single 50cc bike that wouldn't look a bit daft on you.

Once you turn 17 then you do have a better choice of bikes, with your frame, depending on how bendy you are, you might want to consider something more like a cruiser that you can modify to fit, or a trail type bike that are taller, and so wouldn't cramp your legs.

And when you pass your test then then the options open out nice and wide.

A word of warning though, we see new bikers, or even pre-test bikers looking at bikes like the R1, R6, Fireblade, GSXR etc and you can see why. The problem is these bikes are focused bikes with far too much power for a novice to handle, even the more experienced get caught out by them. The other problem with these types of bikes is they push you into riding too fast, and as a new rider if you get 6 point in the first two years your licence is cancelled. By cancelled, I mean just deleted! you can then have to re-apply for your provisional, then take you written test, hazard test and motorcycle/driving test again - and pass!

When someone says, no I'm sensible, I won't push it etc I just don't believe them, especially when they've no experience. Having a bike on the road with all that power is like a drug, and it takes lots and lots of restraint to keep it safe.

My advice, look to some bikes you can have a bit fun on without needing crazy speed - SuperMoto's are superb fun and in skilled hands are every bit, of not faster than the sportsbikes. Cruisers giv you a laid back approacj to riding, but can still develope a turn of speed. The other, more mundane route is the 'starter' bikes, such as the Fazer, XJ600, Hornet, Bandit, ER-6 - basically these are 600's that you can use to get your skill levels up before progressing to more powerfull bikes.

Another thing to consider, is running costs, it's going to cost you a whole lot less to insure a supermoto than an R6.......

Im 19 and finally ditched my restriction! Must admit feels good.

Any way i started out on a Gilera DNA 50 as my parents wanted me to learn the road before anything else.

Turned 17 and got myself a nice new DT125. Kept for 2 years and done my test on.

Turned 19 and then got myself My CCM 644 SM (lots of fun :D ) and then i sold the DT few months ago.

My advice is dont rush into huge CC bikes as you will probably end up hurt. It can also be fun on small CC bikes and you have all your life ahead of you to get a 'big' bike which will come round quicker than you can imagine!

• Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online