Valve clerance good but still noisy

alexdc03
This post is 5351 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

So I have pulled the valve cover and measured the clerance of the valves on my '84 xs400 maxim, only 1 intake was out of spec. I changed the intake shim and now it good but the exhaust valves are very noisy during warm up and not so bad once hot. You can still hear them tap even hot. So how could they be so noisy but still be in spec?

I am taking my measurement when the lobe is directly opposite the shim.

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

So I have pulled the valve cover and measured the clerance of the valves on my '84 xs400 maxim, only 1 intake was out of spec. I changed the intake shim and now it good but the exhaust valves are very noisy during warm up and not so bad once hot. You can still hear them tap even hot. So how could they be so noisy but still be in spec?

I am taking my measurement when the lobe is directly opposite the shim.

its usual to use RT and LT marks on the crank for timing, hence the reason they are there.

what sort of oil are you using?

its usual to use RT and LT marks on the crank for timing, hence the reason they are there.

what sort of oil are you using?

I am using 20w-50 castrol motorcycle oil.

I will re-do the timing making sure I line up the RT - LT marks, I can't say forsure I had them lined up or not.

I am using 20w-50 castrol motorcycle oil.

I will re-do the timing making sure I line up the RT - LT marks, I can't say forsure I had them lined up or not.

on compression stroke of course.

recommended oil is 20w 40 5'c plus and 10w 30 < 0'c plus with type SE oil

So both exhaust vavles are at the limit of .08mm, looks like I'll need to re-shim them both up one number. Left side was a 260 and right a 265. That would explain the loudness during the warm up. Now to look at the timing chain for play amount and how to retension.

• Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online