81 xj550 exhaust?

bman719
This post is 5361 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

So I just bought one of these and have yet to get the manual, but i was wondering what the box the exhaust goes through on the bottom of the frame is...

it looks like it goes 4 to 1 then back to 2... weird!!!! I've asked a bunch of buddies and no one has a clue! any input would be helpful...

Im thinking of taking it off and doing straight pipes but who knows.

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

So I just bought one of these and have yet to get the manual, but i was wondering what the box the exhaust goes through on the bottom of the frame is...

it looks like it goes 4 to 1 then back to 2... weird!!!! I've asked a bunch of buddies and no one has a clue! any input would be helpful...

Im thinking of taking it off and doing straight pipes but who knows.

posibly the catolistic converter ?? or cat box not sure if old bikes have them or not

thats what i thought too but i wasnt sure if bikes had that... first time owning/working on one...

Hi,

no it is not a CAT it is a collector box so you could do straight thro pipes but I would guess you will spend a long time with the carbs to get the bike to run right, dont forget the engine will need back pressure from the exhaust to function correctly and 4 straight thro pipes will not do that a better bet (if the exhaust is knackered) is to replace it with a a 4 into 1 system to get the required back pressure (and minimize the amount of adjustment to the carbs) most UK 4 into 1's ran out of the box. But 4 straight thro pipes may give you problems and you may spend some time jetting the carbs to suit ... very time consuming .... wait till you have the carbs off the first time .... well over an hour then the re jet may not be right and the carbs are off again ... it's up to you but I would just get a 4 into 1

Regards Jim

• Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online