yamaha SECA 400

AaronE
This post is 5372 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

Hey there every buddy i just picked up a 1982 yamaha SECA 400 and i was told by the last owner that it had electrical problems but i checked all the electrical and all lights, gauge cluster coils are working but it wont start battery is new i put it in it cranks over back fires out one pipe at a time but not constantly and some times almost seems like it's guna start, also i checked for spark in both cylinders well cranking it and when siting on it the right hand plug sparks normal and the left seems to only spark when i let off the starter button but it back fires out the left pipe to occasionally. what the heck is going on here help please if any one can help me oh ya i also took off and took apart the carbs and cleaned all the jet's and every thing els in them being carefuller not to mess with the adjustment stings and yes there is fuel in both cyclinder's.

please if ya know what's going on here please let me know it would be much appreciated thanx.

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

Hey there every buddy i just picked up a 1982 yamaha SECA 400 and i was told by the last owner that it had electrical problems but i checked all the electrical and all lights, gauge cluster coils are working but it wont start battery is new i put it in it cranks over back fires out one pipe at a time but not constantly and some times almost seems like it's guna start, also i checked for spark in both cylinders well cranking it and when siting on it the right hand plug sparks normal and the left seems to only spark when i let off the starter button but it back fires out the left pipe to occasionally. what the heck is going on here help please if any one can help me oh ya i also took off and took apart the carbs and cleaned all the jet's and every thing els in them being carefuller not to mess with the adjustment stings and yes there is fuel in both cyclinder's.

please if ya know what's going on here please let me know it would be much appreciated thanx.

I would suspect bad solder joints in the ignitor module. I took the cover off and resoldered all the joints (but one) and had about 600 trouble free miles. It crapped out (while hot) on me yesterday, and I found one lone cold solder joint. so I soldered that. Hopefully that will do the trick.

The solder joints on the circuit board start cracking after the years of use and getting the heck knocked out of them. I sure hope that solves my problem, and yours, too.

• Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online