YB100 problems

plainnash
This post is 5371 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

All the usual obvious restoration questions, but asked by someone with limited knowledge of motorbikes, fun right?

Basically I got a YB100 off eBay, collected it today and I intend to get her back on the road and rideable as a commuter. However, even with the Haynes manual there's a few questions that spring instantly to mind after looking over the bike:

Firstly, the ignition switch seems to have four distinct positions, can someone explain them to me please? I expected only three so it's thrown me!

Also, when I picked it up today the chap I bought it from kicked it into life fairly easily, but embarrassingly enough I'm failing to do that back at home. It's in neutral, fuel on, ignition furthest clockwise and slightly open throttle. Any suggestions?

I know these are extremely obvious questions to some, but after I've got the basics out the way the rest should fall nicely into place; really looking forward to restoring this.

Many thanks,

plainnash

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

Close the choke a bit and give the kickstart some welly. My CG125 was exactly the same when I first got it. Also, obvious I know, but is there some fuel in the tank? If still not starting, is the battery charged? Plug lead on properly? Check that the spark plug is in tight enough too. If it starts, don't forget to open the choke when the engine warms up a bit, otherwise it'll not run smoothly.

Good luck

P

Thanks for the prompt replies guys.

My logic was that I could rule the battery out of the engine starting system; when I picked it up there wasn't a battery in it at all, so I figured it would kick start fine without it. I'm probably just using the choke and throttle incorrectly with that, I'll try again tomorrow.

Oldgit, I forgot to mention before, the key can be removed in any of the four positions, the plot thickens..!

Cheers for the advice so far, appreciate it.

Oldgit, I forgot to mention before, the key can be removed in any of the four positions, the plot thickens..!

Thats probably just due to wear though, I think it will be removable in the furthest anticlockwise = OFF and possibly the furthest clockwise = Parking lights (ignition off)...just a guess though. Also check you havnt knocked the kill switch if it has one.

Thats probably just due to wear though, I think it will be removable in the furthest anticlockwise = OFF and possibly the furthest clockwise = Parking lights (ignition off)...just a guess though. Also check you havnt knocked the kill switch if it has one.

Great, thanks for that, I'll give it a shot in the morning and report back then.

To clarify, the battery is purely to power the lights and horn correct?

Also, do any obvious suggestions spring to mind when I say that the rear light works, but the brake light doesn't? The bulb's fine and the battery reads 6V across the terminals, so the only thing I can think of (bar a faulty harness) is the brake switch?

To clarify, the battery is purely to power the lights and horn correct?

Although i dont know for certain, thats the way it is with my bike and yours is likely to be the same...dont forget indicators though.

Also, do any obvious suggestions spring to mind when I say that the rear light works, but the brake light doesn't? The bulb's fine and the battery reads 6V across the terminals, so the only thing I can think of (bar a faulty harness) is the brake switch?

Yep check out the switch with a multimeter, it may just need adjusting...pull the thing down more with your hand...if it works adjust it by the plastic nut, or could be a bad connection somewhere.

Although i dont know for certain, thats the way it is with my bike and yours is likely to be the same...dont forget indicators though.

Yep check out the switch with a multimeter, it may just need adjusting...pull the thing down more with your hand...if it works adjust it by the plastic nut, or could be a bad connection somewhere.

Brilliant, I'll try that tomorrow.

Final thing for tonight, when it was running earlier it appeared fairly smokey. It's been stood for a while so I guess that's partly the problem, but I understand it might be running oil rich? Smoke also leaks out a hole in the exhaust header pipe, is there a quick bodge to repair this or does it need to be taken to be welded?

Brilliant, I'll try that tomorrow.

Final thing for tonight, when it was running earlier it appeared fairly smokey. It's been stood for a while so I guess that's partly the problem, but I understand it might be running oil rich? Smoke also leaks out a hole in the exhaust header pipe, is there a quick bodge to repair this or does it need to be taken to be welded?

as a bodge put a jubilee clip around it with a lump of tinfoil covering the hole, but welding would be better later. dont worry about the smoke yet, the exhaust baffle may need a de-coke, its a bit early to be worrying about smoke, just get it running right and take it for a blast see what transpires... ;)

Quick update, I've managed to get it running today, tooka few kicks but god damn it was satisfying!

I think I've narrowed down the brake light issue, the switch wasn't physically connected to the spring so it wasn't actuating. Does anyone have any info about the correct attachment from switch to spring? Right now I'm using a piece of wire...