Newbi needs help

LonnieD
This post is 5372 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

I bought this just awhile ago and have ridden it very little. However this happened today. I just filled up my tank with a fuel jug so I wasn't riding it. Put in enough to almost fill it up...started it up and she ran ok but then I noticed it missed a little. Turned it off and noticed fuel pour out through the carbs...I couldn't get it to stop, the petcock wouldn't stop and it came pouring from inside the carb, I pulled the air cleaners and finally had to pull the tank before it went all over my garage. What would allow gas to keep going like that? Shouldn't it stop if I don't use the accelerator? Help me to understand where to start...thanks!!

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

sounds like your needle and seat may be stuck open,check to see if your float level is set right.

pull carby off,clean all jets, inspect needle 'n' seat for wear and set your float level, once that is right even with a faulty petcock it shouldnt leak like that.

Don.

Sounds like great advise, not sure how to do that...never had carbs off...is there a decent book I can follow? I have the haines book but will that be specfic enough? Can the be done mounted or do I remove them both..

Sounds like great advise, not sure how to do that...never had carbs off...is there a decent book I can follow? I have the haines book but will that be specfic enough? Can the be done mounted or do I remove them both..

g'day Lonnie,

first time playin with carbs may seem daunting,but once you give it a go its quit simple,

just take ur time or get a mate (thats pulled any carb off) to help out the first time you remove them.

heres some links that should help :

http://www.xs650.org.au/xs650%20tips.html#Carb Removal

http://www.650motorcycles.com/repairs.html

Don.