Spark plug dimension

XS 500
This post is 5386 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

Just want to check that the spark plugs on the XJ500 is 18 mm and not 11/16"

Do you mean the size of the socket to remove the spark plug?

If you do then all Japanese models are metric, 11/16" is just slightly thinner than 18mm (about 17.50mm)

If you mean the reach then there is not a lot of difference at all.

Hope this helps.

Mike

Do you mean the size of the socket to remove the spark plug?

If you do then all Japanese models are metric, 11/16" is just slightly thinner than 18mm (about 17.50mm)

If you mean the reach then there is not a lot of difference at all.

Hope this helps.

Mike

I ment the socket yes :) The reason I was wondering was that it is very difficult to find a 18 mm spark plug socket in Sweden, we have 17, 19 and 21. So therefore I started to suspect that it was a 11/16" instead, since that would not really be detectable when we removed plug 1 and 4 with a 18 mm wrench :)

I ment the socket yes :) The reason I was wondering was that it is very difficult to find a 18 mm spark plug socket in Sweden, we have 17, 19 and 21. So therefore I started to suspect that it was a 11/16" instead, since that would not really be detectable when we removed plug 1 and 4 with a 18 mm wrench :)

It doesn't have to be a spark plug socket. Try an 18mm box spanner or a long socket. In fact thats what I use on my bike so I can use a ratchet with it.

Mike

It doesn't have to be a spark plug socket. Try an 18mm box spanner or a long socket. In fact thats what I use on my bike so I can use a ratchet with it.

Mike

Uhmm, I found one 18 mm spark plug socket, it wasnt that hard once I started to look :)

There seems to be no 11/16 but a 13/16 instead that is a spark plug socket, but I will use my new 18 mm :)

• Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online