XJ550 noise

smithcj
This post is 5382 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

I am new to the bike world, and I recently purchased an 82 xj500 maxim. The bike runs great and has lots of power, but at low engine speed it makes a noise. Being an automotive mechanic for five or so years it sounds like an upper end noise, maybe timing chain or valve noise.

My question is, is this a normal noise and is this something I should worry about?

Thanks in advance,

Chris

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

welcome...

yes it might be timing chain or valve train...

first things first:

where are you located?

how many miles on the bike?

are there any maintenance records?

its entirely possible that the valves need to have the clearance checked and re-shimmed. there is also a procedure for adjusting the chain tension (i dont know it off hand)...

enjoy that max. ive got one myself...

I live near Rochester NY.

As far as records go, I know the bike sat for a few years and has not been ridden in winters, It has 27,000 or so miles on it so I assume it needs the valves adjusted.

I've read up on adjusting the valves, and it doesn't seem too bad, but I can't find anywhere to get the special tool to hold the valve down to adjust it, does anyone know where to get the tool?

To adjust the camchain you remove the four screws that hold on the timing plate cover on the LH side of the engine and rotate the crankshaft anticlockwise using the square nut until the " C " mark lines up with the stationary pointer.You then loosen the locknut on the camchain tensioner on the back of the cylinder and then loosen the bolt.This should then take up any slack in the camchain. Retighten the bolt then the locknut but don't overtighten. Job done. The part number for the shimming tool is 90890-01245 which should still be available from any Yamaha dealer. From memory you have to be careful when you have the tool installed to make sure you turn the camshafts the right way or you will crack the cylinder head if the camshafts hit the tool. Hope this helps. Tony.

• Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online