82 XS400J Oil Press. Lite not working

Vincent Moy
This post is 5401 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

Hi all,

I got a XS400J 1982. My Oil Press. Lite is not working. Gnd the wire w/ a tester and the light will go on. Got a new switch in but the lite still won't work (unless I gnd it will a tester).

I'm outta clue.

Anyone think of anything? I don't seems to have press. problem tho.

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

Hi all,

I got a XS400J 1982. My Oil Press. Lite is not working. Gnd the wire w/ a tester and the light will go on. Got a new switch in but the lite still won't work (unless I gnd it will a tester).

I'm outta clue.

Anyone think of anything? I don't seems to have press. problem tho.

give the oil press orafice a poke might be sludge in there!!

give the oil press orafice a poke might be sludge in there!!

I asked the same Q. on xjbikes forum and the people said the wire is probably broken. My question is if the wire is broken isn't it shouldn't send any signal to the lite at all no matter it's gnded or not?

I asked the same Q. on xjbikes forum and the people said the wire is probably broken. My question is if the wire is broken isn't it shouldn't send any signal to the lite at all no matter it's gnded or not?

correct, or the wire wouldn't be needed in the first place.

All can think of is you have an earthing issue which will make the circuit

drewps

correct, or the wire wouldn't be needed in the first place.

All can think of is you have an earthing issue which will make the circuit

drewps

The oil press. switch IS the gnd itself. Somehow when it's low of oil press. it should switch on. I don't know how all this works. BTW, the oil pressure switch is NOS from ebay.

The oil press. switch IS the gnd itself. Somehow when it's low of oil press. it should switch on. I don't know how all this works. BTW, the oil pressure switch is NOS from ebay.

but if you have an earthing issue ie the wire from the switch is earthing out, then you will have the symtoms you describe!!

what about the bulb and holder itself? have you checked that (replace bulb in case its an intermittent fault)

but if you have an earthing issue ie the wire from the switch is earthing out, then you will have the symtoms you describe!!

what about the bulb and holder itself? have you checked that (replace bulb in case its an intermittent fault)

the bulb is not the problem I'm pretty sure. And I don't think the wire is earthing out because if it does then the light should be on all the time. So somehow the switch is not connecting (normally when there is oil press.) even when there is no pressure at all, like when the bike is off.

Does anyone knows how to test an oil pressure switch?

Thanks!

Seconded. If you have good wires, good bulb and a clear passage to the switch, you got a defective switch.

When I unscrewed my old switch, there was oil coming out. Plus if I have a blockage on the passage and assume the switch is working properly, shouldn't I have the light on all the time?

• Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online