Shorten steel braided throttle cable?

AustenM
This post is 5409 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

Hey all, I have been offline for over a year and now I'm back.

I have stainless steel braided cables on my 2000 model 650 Dragstar, but since I chopped her up and extended the front end by 6 inches with the 16inch apes, the cables are impossible to find at the correct length.

So I bought a set that are slightly too long as it was my only option.

Is it possible to shorten them by 9inches?

Regards

Austen

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

Shouldn't be too much of an issue. I've fitted universal cables, although they're not stainless braided. The only difficulty may be cutting the housing (that's the outer).

The basic procedure is to remove the inner and fit the housing to the bike. Once you're 100% happy with the routing, cut it to length. You can guy cable cutters, but for a one-off I'd use a hacksaw or dremel if you have one. It's best to make sure the end is square, so a file is useful too.

What is the carb end like? nipple or clamp <fnarr>. If it's a clamp then you connect the inner to the twistgrip and feed it through. At the other end, clamp it and cut off the excess.

If it's a nipple they you'll need to find one the correct shape and size and solder it to the inner. It's best to feed the inner through as above, then figure out where the nipple needs to be and cut the inner. Then remove the cable and solder the nipple to it. You don't necessarily have to remove it from the twistgrip for this.

These may be of use:

http://www.venhill.co.uk/Downloads/CableIn...mmendations.PDF

http://www.venhill.co.uk/Downloads/Guidanc...mmendations.pdf

Local mechanics should be able to custom-make you a cable to any length.

Mine did.

Following that logic, for a couple o' squid, they should happily chop yours and sort it out for ya.

• Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online