xs 400 rj hard starting

Eileen
This post is 5319 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

Hi. I have 2-1982 yamaha seca xs400rj's. Red and blue. The blue one is hard starting at times or when it is cool out,won't start at all.Cleaned the carbs ,changed battery ,starter ,plugs. Changed everything that would come off the bike (except the wiring harness ). Changed all those parts for the one on the red one (parts bike ). At the end of last summer, the blue bike would not start at all .As a last resort I changed the engine. Still is not right. The engine that would not run ,is now in the red bike ,with year old gas,.........and it started right up. :angry: What else can I try ?... What am I missing ??? Getting very disgusted ,probally going to sell them :mellow: Thanks for any help !!!

• 3 months later...
Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

Hi. I have 2-1982 yamaha seca xs400rj's. Red and blue. The blue one is hard starting at times or when it is cool out,won't start at all.Cleaned the carbs ,changed battery ,starter ,plugs. Changed everything that would come off the bike (except the wiring harness ). Changed all those parts for the one on the red one (parts bike ). At the end of last summer, the blue bike would not start at all .As a last resort I changed the engine. Still is not right. The engine that would not run ,is now in the red bike ,with year old gas,.........and it started right up. :angry: What else can I try ?... What am I missing ??? Getting very disgusted ,probally going to sell them :mellow: Thanks for any help !!!

I was having the same problem. hard to start, Darn near impossible to restart, acted like a loose carb the way the engine surged at idle. Then it totally died. Removed the ignitor and it's cover and noticed the circuit board had a lot of cold solder joints. I took a small wattage soldering iron to it and resoldered all of the connections. It fired right up and ran great, for 975 miles, then it started the same scenario. Resoldered the joints again, but to no avail this time. You have to be good at soldering or you will have a mess on your hands.

I am currently trying to find some old ignitors to take apart and experiment replacing key components. If you want to send me your ignitor (12R) I will be happy to resolder it for you and send it back (my reward will be trying it on my bike to see if mine is actually bad). If interrested, please contact me. Phil

come on eileen

come on eileen

come ooonn eileen

do ra do ra do ra ayyyyyyy

:welcome: to the forum

hope you enjoyed the dexy's tune

• Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online